Returning new programmer

Started by
7 comments, last by Niddles 15 years, 10 months ago
well I have been away form game programming for a while I guess I have this question. I have the book c++ the complete reference, game programming all in one by de sousa, programming role playing games with directx, tricks of the windows game programming gurus, and tricks of the 3d game programming gurus. I am now reading game programming all in one because it goes over c++ at the beginning but after that I am wondering what book to read. any thoughts... thanks for reading,
Advertisement
Quote:
Any thoughts?

The guru books are best left for firewood in case of apocalypse.

C++ is a completely horrrrrible beginner language.

I like brownies.
Are you certain you want to start out with C++? Decide on that, because for new programmers, the general advice is to not learn C++ as a first language. It’s almost always preferable to gain game programming experience with another language.

Just reading books does not imbue you with the knowledge to tackle game programming (or for that matter, any other type of application programming).
I recommend this book if you are going to begin with C++. It's what I used and it was great at explaining everything. It is meant for people who don't know C++ so it covers that and game programming (in the console). I don't know those books you have but they seem too advanced (like the DirectX and 3D books).
Quote:Original post by bschneid
I recommend this book if you are going to begin with C++. It's what I used and it was great at explaining everything. It is meant for people who don't know C++ so it covers that and game programming (in the console). I don't know those books you have but they seem too advanced (like the DirectX and 3D books).

I like that book, too. Here is the second edition.
C++ does have a bit trickier concepts. I recommend starting with either java, or c#. Both are pretty good languages. Java is more on the business oriented software development than gaming, but you can learn all sorts of basics with it. Java is what the schools tend to teach first
I don't think there is anything wrong with starting with C++. When I started programming, I just downloaded Thinking in C++ (http://www.odioworks.com/download/TICPP-2nd-ed-Vol-one.zip), and my brother gave me Bjarne Stroustrup's huge C++ book (http://www.amazon.com/C-Programming-Language-Special-3rd/dp/0201700735). Seven years later I'm still using C++, and still learning stuff every day =). Hope this helps.
Quote:Original post by Niddles
I don't think there is anything wrong with starting with C++.

There's nothing explicitly wrong about it, but there's a lot of better options. I mean, what have you accomplished in those 7 years? I know I spent about that long doing next to nothing during my C++ days. Essentially reproducing things other languages provide seamlessly, or mired fighting the syntax so that I wasn't learning useful things like program design...

Back in the day I created several SDL games, like pong and breakout, etc.. I'm really sad they got erased when my last computer died though... =(. Since then I've moved on to writing 3D games and the makings of an engine. So I have done quite a bit, maybe not as much as I could have with all of my time devoted to programming, but it seems like a bit to me... I dunno, I'm still really bad at programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement