Awesome Turn-Based Strategy Games?

Started by
25 comments, last by Alpha Nox 15 years, 10 months ago
I downloaded the demo of Silent Storm 2 after someone mentioned it here, and I've got to tell you, that's one of the most frickin' awesome games I've played in a long time. I have a real fetish for high-quality turn-based strategy games, and SS2 really made an impression. I haven't had any luck tracking down the full version, but I was wondering if any of you guys have an interest in that sort of thing and would give me some suggestions for other games in the genre with that kind of polish.
Advertisement
Never heard of Silent Storm (1 or 2), but I just checked out a couple screenshots online... is it anything like the Fallout series? It looks like the gameplay might be kinda similar.
I've been tempted to grab a copy of ye' olde "Masters of Orion 2" off ebay, but the chances of it running on todays hardware is probably pretty slim.
Quote:Original post by boolean
I've been tempted to grab a copy of ye' olde "Masters of Orion 2" off ebay, but the chances of it running on todays hardware is probably pretty slim.

It ran fine under Windows XP. I haven't had a chance to test it with Vista.

I like good turn based strategy games too, but most of the ones I could recommend are the classics you've probably already played or know about: Civilization, Master of Orion, X-COM, Fire Emblem, Heroes of Might and Magic.
Silent Storm (at least the demo of 2) feels a lot like Fallout in some ways. You get action points and there's a grid that your'e on, and there are line-of-sight mechanics and such and such. It's easily the most sophisticated of such games I've ever seen. Playing through the demo tonight, I snuck my scout through a ruined building, rigged a door with a grenade trap, then machinegunned a sentry.

When his partner tried to come kill me, the door trap got him, and then I took a moment to climb up through a hole that had been blasted in the ceiling and hide in a shadow at the top of a staircase to wait for the next batch of enemies to investigate. When they arrived, I machinegunned the first one, then had my grenadier enter the lower room and chuck a grenade into the remaining guys. I screwed up here, though, because I accidentally equipped a demo charge instead of a frag, and blew up half the building, killing my scout in the process.

Meanwhile, you've got snipers and medics and engineers and you're diving though windows and throwing knives and demolishing staircases and on and on. Different poses have an impact on your accuracy, and you gain weapon familiarity, allowing you to bond with your rifle and kick extra butts with it. You gain abilities with regard to stealth, perception, firearms, healing, traps, grenades... It's just delightful.
Well of course I would suggest the Fallout series here, but it sounds like you've already played them.

I could offer up a few suggestions for strategy board games, which are also turn-based and tons of fun! [grin] Seriously, there are several dozen off the top of my head I could name...
I know a lot of people say MoO 3 failed (Master of Orion 3) but give it a try! Why? Because there's an awesome mod for it that fixes basically most of things, and latest official patch (which is quite old anyway) which fixes some bugs, making it playable. It's the most epic space turn-based strategy game I've ever played.

The mod in question is called MuU:BaA, the link is here:
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538340
Download the mod from Pedxing's signature (Chocolate)

MoO 3 itself is dirt cheap, so it's worth a try. Also try MoO 2 and 1. I still play all 3 because they're so awesome!
Jagged Alliance 2. I don't want to think about how many hours I've spent playing that game...
Chess is an awesome turn-based strategy game. It's been analyzed so much that it's not uncommon for the great players to be thinking 10 or moves ahead.

Advance Wars DS was pretty good too. There were always different ways to win each single-player map, and I would imagine multiplayer to be pretty deep.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
+1 vote for Heros of Might & Magic
I'd +1 Fallout, but it really isn't a TBS, its a TBRPG since you really only control 1 character at any time & the others do their own thing.

Also, Final Fantasy Tactics was pretty fun, though again not a full TBS.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement