• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Locutusborg

rendering using a vertexbuffer

This topic is 3833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am trying to render a mesh using a vertexbuffer and a stream. However, I get an empty screen after compiling. and also the following errormessage: First-chance exception at 0x7c812a5b in game.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: long at memory location 0x0012fcac.. I use this to get my vertexbuffer g_pMesh->GetVertexBuffer(&pVBuf); int groot = sizeof(pVBuf)/g_pMesh->GetNumVertices(); and this is my part of the renderfunction pD3DDevice9->SetStreamSource( 0, pVBuf, 0, groot ); pD3DDevice9->SetFVF( g_pMesh->GetFVF() ); pD3DDevice9->DrawIndexedPrimitive( D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST, 0, 0, g_pMesh->GetNumVertices(),0, g_pMesh->GetNumVertices()/3 ); does anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong? THANK YOU!!!

Advertisement
Well first of all, there's a function that does this for you (ID3DXMesh::DrawSubset). Second, if you wanted to manually draw the vertex buffer yourself you're doing some things wrong.

-sizeof(pVBuf) doesn't give you the size of the vertex buffer. It returns you the size of the type of IDirect3DVertexBuffer9*, which is a pointer to a COM interface. Like all pointers, it will be 4 bytes on a 32-bit system and 8 on a 64-bit system. If you want the size of the vertex buffer, use IDirect3DVertexBuffer9::GetDesc and check the "Size" member of the struct.

-You don't need the size of the vertex buffer anyway, since you can get the vertex stride of a mesh by simply calling ID3DXMesh::GetNumBytesPerVertex.

-If you want to know the number of primitives in a mesh, use ID3DXMesh::GetNumFaces. The number of triangles in an indexed vertex buffer is not simply the number of vertices divided by 3 (the whole point of an indexed VB is that you can share vertices among triangles).

Thanks! This already helps a lot!

I already had the draw subset command working before, but I discarded it because I will need multiple instances of several meshes. To my knowledge that is not possible with drawsubset()

I am now trying to make the program work with a vertexbuffer and a single mesh, so I can expand it later to display more then one instance and eventualy do so for more meshes.

IS this the right way to do it, or is there a better way to it?

Thank you agian for the info

I did find a way to draw multilple instances. I made a structure that contains the position as a D3DVECTOR3. from there I use a pointer with a double array to identify mesh and subset, like this:

pointer[meshnumber][subsetnr]
then for each mesh i get the position and draw them in the render function.

Can anyone tell me if there is a more efficient way to do this?

Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!