• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Meshboy

tactics for FPS Floors

This topic is 3666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think i will create floors in my FPS level by defining polygons that represent if player is standing on a "floor-poly". the Y value (height of player) will always be ClosestPointOnFloorPolygon.Y unless the distance > 5 (then probably player fell down or went to far from floor) Any other approaches to this problem?

Advertisement
It's not uncommon to flag polys with special floor properties.

It's especially useful if you want to give the player some special properties when standing on the polygon, such as the ability to jump, or to stick to the floor (if not jumping), some special friction properties, or being part of a 'platform'.

Also, when going down some stairs, you want the player to stick to the stairs as much as possible, else he'll just be litteraly flying through the stairs, no matter how much gravity you have.

They are also used for AI to comput A* path nodes.

Basically, polygons in a level can have many 'context sensitive' properties, such as floor, cover, anchor (for jumping over barriers), death trap, no collision...

As for forcing the player on the floor, there are many methods, some involve physics constraints, some special phyiscs object that magnetise the player to the floor, but usually forcing a player to be at a position can break things. You dont want to be completely authoritative.

mmm ... and then by flagging them as floors, you can do some special fx like rotating a level and keeping player sticked to the floor, like they did in some movies (space odyssey II I think)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!