What is the best API to C# ?

Started by
9 comments, last by amethyste 15 years, 10 months ago
hi, I hesitate between XNA, slimdx and MD3D10. XNA is high level framework and I want learn DirectX, so I prefer a wrapper to DX9 and DX10. Now my problem is what is the best and where the documentations ? I'm good C# & opengl/C++ programmer but I have never do DirectX. I find a lot of resources on C++/DX or C#/MDX(official) but empty on C#/MD3D10 or C#/slimdx what is the choice: slimdx or MD3D10 ? and where is the doc ? thanks,
Advertisement
Umm...there is no MD3D10 as far as I know so perhaps that narrows it down for you.

As for XNA vs. SlimDX...they're different things with different goals. SlimDX is just a wrapper around DirectX, nothing more. It's simply a way to access the various DX libraries from a managed environment. XNA on the other hand is an entire game-making framework and platform. A big part of it is XNA.Framework.Graphics (which is basically just a light wrapper around D3D9), but there's much more to it. There's things like the Game class for getting a game up and running quickly, there's the networking stuff, and there's the extensive content pipeline libraries. IMO XNA is a better choice if you want to learn how to make games, and not just graphics.
You can find most of the slimDX stuff through this here little portal. I'm sure some of the slimDX folks will stop by to provide more info [smile]

MD3D10 was developed by Demirug (on this forum) and it was relatively complete at some point, but as far as I know it's not currently being developped as actively as slimDX (sorry if I'm wrong about that Ralf). Looking at its CodePlex page, it was built against the April 2007 SDK, so I'd venture a guess you're better off with slimDX for basic maintenance reasons.

The big question is, what do you want to do with it? Perhaps XNA might actually be the best choice, but it hard to give you any sound advice without having a specific goal in mind.

Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Quote:Original post by amethyste
what is the choice: slimdx or MD3D10 ?
and where is the doc ?
Well, SlimDX has online docs as well as a downloadable CHM file.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

W00t, there goes my bandwidth [grin]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
OK, thanks for your aid.

Now my choice is XNA or SLIMDX.

I developped a complet framework with glut/opengl/python/c++ to make game.
Now i want learn DX to make an another framework to make a RTS game.

I like learn new technologie but slimdx is near DX ?
The tutorial to DXmanaged or DX+c++ is compatible with slimdx ?

I prefer make my library to developp a game. I dislike use the work of other, my objectif is to learn and create not reuse.

(sorry for the english langage but I'm french).
Quote:Original post by amethyste
I like learn new technologie but slimdx is near DX ?
The tutorial to DXmanaged or DX+c++ is compatible with slimdx ?
They're generally very close. SlimDX was designed to emulate DX as closely as possible while still fitting in with the .NET way of doing things.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
SlimDX is pretty much as close as you can get to native DX and still be managed code. For the most part, the API is exactly the same -- we rename a few things and provide certain abstractions that are common in the managed environment, but it's generally not too difficult to translate information pertaining to native DX or the old MDX API to the code you'd need to use in SlimDX.
Thanks,

so I can use all tutorial from the net to DX or MDX with slimDX.

I test this and if I'm too bad ;-) I go on XNA.
If you want to work with OpenGL in C# then Tao's pretty awesome. Here's a quick start as well (I wrote it, partially for my own reference).

I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I'm writing a book about How To Make An RPG, check it out! | Blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement