• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
speciesUnknown

I broke the source engine, need a list of dlls

This topic is 3671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI, I need a list of the DLL files that Source engine games install to the WINDOWS or the WINDOWS/system32 folder. I broke one of the DLL files the Source engine uses, while attempting to install the source SDK. Now, none of my mods work, and I cannot launch any game that uses the Source engine, as I get the message " Failed to load the launcher DLL: %1 is not a valid Win32 application " This started when I tried to launch one of the tools and got an error message about a missing dll. So, I merrily attempted to replace the dll, found one, downloaded it, and added it to where it should be. I now discover that the dll is incorrect but I cannot remember which DLL it is. My solution is to delete the offending dll, and then reinstall one of the games that uses the Source engine, which should hopefully replace it on install and then everything else will work. So, does anybody know where I can get a list of the dll files the source engine uses? The valve support site is obviously useless.

Advertisement
Reinstall Windows and keep your fingers out of places where they shouldn't be?

How did you manage to screw up installing the source sdk?

The easiest thing to do is just move your gcf files to somewhere safe, delete steam and re-install it, then copy your gcf files back again. Won't take more than about 5 minutes.

edit: Thinking about it, I'm not entirely sure that steam puts anything into your windows / system32 folder - you can move your steam folder to a whole new machine and it'll just run.

I already installed steam, due to a hard disk getting destroyed, and then downloaded and reinstalled all my steam games. The problem still persists. I've already learned to keep my fingers out of where they do not belong, but had I not done as I did I would likely be unable to use the source SDK. Because, my "fix" repaired the problem with the Source SDK (specifically, the hammer editor and the face poser), but it created a new problem with those games that use the Source engine.

Quote:
Original post by Ging
edit: Thinking about it, I'm not entirely sure that steam puts anything into your windows / system32 folder - you can move your steam folder to a whole new machine and it'll just run.

In that case, its likely that my problem is down to windows attempting to load the dll from where I placed it first, before loading it from the correct location. If that is the case, I will still be able to get away from the error by removing the offending dll.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!