• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
deadlydog

What hasn't been done with particle systems

This topic is 3840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am taking a university graduate reading class (no lectures, all self learning) this semester on particle systems. For the class I have to propose a project that has something to do with particle systems, particularly something that hasn't been done before, or a new/better way of doing something that has been done; it is supposed to involve research. I am looking for possible ideas. One idea I had was that particle systems are often used to generate blood spats on the walls (after shooting an enemy for example). Does anybody know if any games have animated that blood spat particle or not, to say, make the blood drip down the wall instead of just staying as a static red bloch on the wall? The ideas I am looking for do not necessary have to be directly video game related. For example, a new way of generating interactive gas phenomena would be fine too. I am just looking for possible ideas for me to research and implement this semester. Any ideas, even if you think they are stupid, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
I can't think of any games that I've seen that in, although it might just be hardly noticeable. For a final project me and a team mate created a dynamic million particle - particle system using textures as data and shaders do offload all of the computation on the GPU.

how about using particles to simulate soft body dynamics? Essentially take a 3d model, fractionalize it into a 3d interconnected particle mesh, and attach those particles loosely to the underlying model vertices. Run the particles through a physics engine to simulate soft body dyamicss. Also try out breaking apart the model by allowing the particle mesh to tear into pieces.

Maybe you could also simulate muscle masses using particles of varying shapes and sizes linked in this loose matrix.

Good Luck!

-ddn

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!