• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Antonios

XML shading language.

This topic is 3670 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
There are no XML shading languages to my knowledge, but you can embed shaders in collada files which are XML based.

Jesse

XML turns out to be really, really bad at encoding imperative programming... it's been tried many times, with about the same results each time. If you want shaders in your XML, put them in a CDATA.

Maybe you could use XML as the next step up from the shaders - more like a data file that specifies the shaders, special rendering states, etc... for a given material instead? Is there a particular feature of XML that you think could help in writing shaders???

Quote:
Original post by Jason Z
Maybe you could use XML as the next step up from the shaders - more like a data file that specifies the shaders, special rendering states, etc... for a given material instead?

Have a look at Horde3D - I think it does something like this.

[Edited by - PolyVox on June 6, 2008 11:25:32 AM]

I am dealing with a lot of XML in my job that has to do with UI design e.g. MXML, thus I wondered whether something similar existed for shaders. I found out that Unity3D (unity3d.com) has a shading language that matches what I said, http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/ShaderTut1.html .

Quote:
Original post by AntoniosI found out that Unity3D (unity3d.com) has a shading language that matches what I said, http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/ShaderTut1.html .

That's not a shading language, and it's not XML! Am I missing something here? The examples on that page use the 'curly braces' syntax - and they are describing materials, not shaders. Materials combine shaders with pipeline state to produce the final result.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!