Upgrading processor

Started by
4 comments, last by u235 15 years, 10 months ago
I want to upgrade the processor on my computer (an old computer that I was planning on stripping and selling the parts, but now want to turn into a secondary computer so my girlfriend and I can both use the computer at the same time if we want) and I was wondering what I need to take into consideration when choosing a new processor. The one I have right now is an AMD Athlon 3500+ 2.2 GHz single core. I don't need anything fancy, I just want it to be able to do basic computing tasks (word processing, e-mail, internet, etc.) but be at least as good as the current processor. BTW, if anyone is wondering, I know that the current processor would be good enough to handle what I need, but due to a series of unfortunate events, it's now off the motherboard with a few bent pins, so I don't think it's going back on. Anyway, if anyone has any specific suggestions or general guidelines, it would be most appreciated. Thanks.
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Advertisement
I did some research on newegg.com and it appears that this processor is the only one available for my current motherboard. If this is true, is it okay to stick with the obsolete 939 socket type or should I look into upgrading my motherboard to make upgrading the processor easier later? Thanks.
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
If you're not doing anything intensive, or require another core for multitasking purposes, why upgrade?
You can probably stick with your current processor if it suits your needs fine.
However, if you do decide to upgrade for whatever reason, get the core 2 duo's. Their processor architecture kicks amd's butt right now.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by Jarrod1937
If you're not doing anything intensive, or require another core for multitasking purposes, why upgrade?
However, if you do decide to upgrade for whatever reason, get the core 2 duo's. Their processor architecture kicks amd's butt right now.

He isn't upgrading so much as replacing a broken part.

Find the same chip for cheap and put it in?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Quote:Original post by Jarrod1937

He isn't upgrading so much as replacing a broken part.

Oh i see, i somehow skipped over that part when i read it.

Quote:Original post by u235
BTW, if anyone is wondering, I know that the current processor would be good enough to handle what I need, but due to a series of unfortunate events, it's now off the motherboard with a few bent pins, so I don't think it's going back on.

A few bent pins are nothing, you should be able to bend them back in place relatively easily. Just be sure to not bend them back and forth too much. In other words, when you bend them back, try to get it perfect the first time. But you shouldn't have too much trouble. I fix bent pins all the time (not caused by me mind you), usually they're quite fixable.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Thanks. I'll try fixing the bent pins before I go and buy a new processor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement