• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
TKE Super Dave

Projectile Motion.

This topic is 3761 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this gets asked a lot based on the amount of post I found searching for the answer but I need help with understanding some of what I found. I'm trying to have a stationary object fire at another object that has a constant velocity. However I don't have the aim or the time at which the stationary object's bullet hits the moving object. Basically this forum post is exactly what I'm attempting to do: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=453829&whichpage=1� On the third post the guy goes over the equation I need to solve the problem, however when he gets to here:
Quote:
Herein only t is unknown, and the whole formula is a quadratic equation in t. One can solve any quadratic equation of the form f(t) := t2 + c1 * t + c0 = 0 by the so-called "pq-formula" (well, it is called so in Germany), yielding in ta = - c1 / 2 + sqrt( c1^2 / 4 - c0 ) tb = - c1 / 2 - sqrt( c1^2 / 4 - c0 )
I get lost as I don't know where he got the c1 or c0. If someone could explain that to me where he got that, I'd greatly be appreciative.

Advertisement
c1 means "whatever is multiplying t in the equation above" and c0 means "whatever is not multiplying t in the equation above".

If you need another explanation, I posted code and an explanation in this other thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=401165

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!