pointers = stress

Started by
3 comments, last by daviangel 15 years, 10 months ago
So I've started on pointers and actually finished the documentation of it. I can figure out what is the use of them? I know it says "It's a very useful and powerful tool". I don't get how this is. All it is doing is pointing to something or what's inside. What exactly makes them powerful/useful? -Thank you!
Advertisement
What is the point of pointers
Thanks!
To use a text-book example:

Lets say you've got 2 classes: Student and Subject. Each student can be enrolled in several subjects.
class Student{public:  std::string name;};class Subject{public:  std::string code;};Student John, Frank;John.name = "John";Frank.name = "Frank";Subject subjects[3];subjects[0].code= "ITC101";subjects[1].code= "ITC201";subjects[2].code= "ITC343";

Now, Lets say John is doing subject #101 and #201, and Frank is doing #201 and #343. How do we represent this?

We *could* do it without pointers, by duplicating a key variable from the subject within the student, like this:
class Student{public:  std::string name;  std::vector<std::string> subjectCodes;};...John.subjectCodes.push_back( subjects[0].code );John.subjectCodes.push_back( subjects[1].code );//but then when we want to do something with one of John's subjects, we have to perform a search:for( int i=0; i<3; ++i ){  if( subjects.code == John.subjectCodes[0] )    subjects.DoSomething();}

A better way to link objects together is to just use pointers:
class Student{public:  std::string name;  std::vector<Subject*> subjects;};...John.subjects.push_back( &subjects[0] );John.subjects.push_back( &subjects[1] );//now when we want to do something with one of John's subjects, we can use the pointer to directly access it:John.subjects[0]->DoSomething();
I agree when you are first learning pointers are too much of a hassle to deal with so do yourself a favor and stick with references as long as you can.
You shouldn't run into pointers anyways if you are using a good C++ book to learn from. I don't think "Accelerated C++" even uses them until near the end.
In you deal with C code or game programming you'll see them alot more often since C doesn't have references.

"
Why is "this" not a reference?
Because "this" was introduced into C++ (really into C with Classes) before references were added. Also, I chose "this" to follow Simula usage, rather than the (later) Smalltalk use of "self".
"

Personally, I have to use them right now in my Allegro game programming since alot of drawing commands return an address which you need to store in a pointer.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement