• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
danatoth

Which engine?

This topic is 3763 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Would be best to use for an Action-Rpg-Platformer along the lines of Castelvania? Im looking at Torque Game Builder at the moment. It only costs 100 dollars and is pretty easy to use from what ive done in the trial. However, when it comes to that kind of battle engine, I have no idea what to do =0

Advertisement
If you are just starting to make games, maybe coding your own engine will be better. It'd definitely be a good learning experience, anyway, and you have more control over what it can and can't do with it.

EDIT: Oops. I said the wrong thing. What I meant to say was the advice given to me: Don't start with an engine, but rather start by making a game first. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that <_<

[Edited by - sonicbhoc on June 7, 2008 8:10:40 AM]

No, you should NOT be coding your own engine. If you need to ask questions like this, you probably aren't ready to be coding something as complex as a Castelvania style game. I suggest starting smaller, with simpler games and working your way up. By the time you are ready to tackle a Castelvania style game, you'll know how to approach it.

Probably a better question to ask is what do you want in return for that $100 and are you willing to live with the limitations of that technology? Are you buying this product to learn or are you buying this product to produce something quick for fun.

From what I have read, you want to focus on the end-product which is "an Action-Rpg-Platformer along the lines of Castelvania". Have you outlined all the capabilities you will need in order to produce that game and are you confident you can do that in TGB (Torque Game Builder)? Do you know of an open-source game that you can mod to produce this game especially since the sourcecode is available to you?

What about using some of the free languages available like Python and using existing extensions to that language to build up your game like PyGame. No doubt there are game frameworks available for PyGame.

Finally, have you thought about content? Most of your game will need content, the code/engine will just glue everything together.

Thanks alot for the input guys, I've decided to go with TGB since we are using TGE in school and I'm sure that writing with torquescript will help me later down the road.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!