Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ext

OpenGL Looking for a book about OpenGL using Shaders

This topic is 3785 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hello, I'm looking for a (good) book which covers OpenGL, but focuses on shaders and less on the fixed function pipeline. It can be heavy on math and I would appreciate if it also covers more andvanced render techniques. Do you have any recommendations for me? ext.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
I'd suggest you look for a book on shaders in general. The "Shader Xx" series (the second x standing for the volume) is quite intersting.

Since using GLSL in general isn't that difficult (just a bunch of functions to load, compile and bind shaders, pass constants etc.) I'd guess that there are very few books focusing on how to use shaders in OpenGL, if any.

The easiest would be to get yourself a short tutorial how to set up OpenGL for use of shaders. Or look into CG that is kind of an abstraction over GLSL (OGL) and HLSL (DX). Since many people use DirectX many books on shaders use HLSL or CG (because CG is very similar to HLSL).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi,

ok thank you.

I just searched for the shaderx series and the first book of the series seems already out of print, is this book even of relevance today?

I want to learn todays rendering techniques with shaders and not some very old techniques, by todays standard.

I've got a GF8, so everything up to SM4.0 is fine. Although I suppose that SM4.0 is HLSL only or?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Apart from the obvious "OpenGL Programming Guide", I thought the book "Advanced Graphics Programming Using OpenGL (McReynolds/Blythe)" was quite good. I don't know of any good book that covers OpenGL with focus on shaders. You probably have to pickup a few books instead. The "ShaderX" and "GPU Gems" series are both good sources of modern techniques.

Quote:
Original post by ext
Although I suppose that SM4.0 is HLSL only or?


You can use any of the 3 popular shading languages (GLSL/CG/HLSL) to access SM4 features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by ndhb
Apart from the obvious "OpenGL Programming Guide", I thought the book "Advanced Graphics Programming Using OpenGL (McReynolds/Blythe)" was quite good. I don't know of any good book that covers OpenGL with focus on shaders. You probably have to pickup a few books instead. The "ShaderX" and "GPU Gems" series are both good sources of modern techniques.

Quote:
Original post by ext
Although I suppose that SM4.0 is HLSL only or?


You can use any of the 3 popular shading languages (GLSL/CG/HLSL) to access SM4 features.


Hello,

sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your advice, the Advanced ... book looks really nice, I think I'll give it a try.


ext.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by ext
Hello,

I'm looking for a (good) book which covers OpenGL, but focuses on shaders and less on the fixed function pipeline. It can be heavy on math and I would appreciate if it also covers more andvanced render techniques.

Do you have any recommendations for me?



ext.


Why don't you get the orange book? That along with the most recent version of the red book should keep you going for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Cromulent
Quote:
Original post by ext
Hello,

I'm looking for a (good) book which covers OpenGL, but focuses on shaders and less on the fixed function pipeline. It can be heavy on math and I would appreciate if it also covers more andvanced render techniques.

Do you have any recommendations for me?



ext.


Why don't you get the orange book? That along with the most recent version of the red book should keep you going for a while.

Thank you, I didn't knew there was another opengl book, I only knew the red and blue books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by ext
Quote:
Original post by Cromulent
Quote:
Original post by ext
Hello,

I'm looking for a (good) book which covers OpenGL, but focuses on shaders and less on the fixed function pipeline. It can be heavy on math and I would appreciate if it also covers more andvanced render techniques.

Do you have any recommendations for me?



ext.


Why don't you get the orange book? That along with the most recent version of the red book should keep you going for a while.

Thank you, I didn't knew there was another opengl book, I only knew the red and blue books.


Just for information purposes there is even a green book now, which is all about OpenGL programming on Mac OS X.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Original post by Kwizatz
I've been eying this pack for a while [smile].


This box looks nice, but in Germany it costs 99€ (that's ~150$) that's just too much for me, but fortunately the library of my university has these two books :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!