Photoshop Path-Path Clipping?

Started by
1 comment, last by LorenzoGatti 15 years, 10 months ago
Is there a way to create a path with the pen tool that can clip other paths based on separation distances? Below I made an example of what I'm looking for. I just did this by hand, so it's not exactly accurate (which is why I'm looking for a tool in photoshop that can do this). I just realized the blue object is originally under the red one. It doesn't matter to me if it has to be on top to "clip" the red one. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
I don't know of a tool that does this. But one easy solution would be to ctrl+click on theblue object layer to create a selection around it, then go to the select menu-> modify-> expand/grow selection. So if you make a selection of the blue object, then expand that selection a bit, you can then select the red object layer and hit delete. This will give you the same result you have given in your example, but more accurate.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by Jarrod1937
I don't know of a tool that does this. But one easy solution would be to ctrl+click on theblue object layer to create a selection around it, then go to the select menu-> modify-> expand/grow selection. So if you make a selection of the blue object, then expand that selection a bit, you can then select the red object layer and hit delete. This will give you the same result you have given in your example, but more accurate.

There are other possible uses for the expanded selection, for example flood-filling it on a new layer inserted between the blue and red object, keeping the red object in its pristine condition (so that it can be moved) but partially occluded by compositing white or complete transparency over it.
The better strategy depends on what needs to be edited later and on what is on the other layers.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement