• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
steveworks

Beginners programming 'homework'

This topic is 3721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making this thread for anyone who is a beginner programmer and cant think up practice projects. I am not sure if there is a sticky anywhere that is like this but here are the rules. All suggestions must be able to be done by a beginner. It doesn't have to be supper easy or redundent it just cant be anything like a game engine or anything that uses a graphics API. This thread is meant for beginning programmers who probably don't even know how to use a graphics API. (like me). Please state The supposed difficulty level(1 is easy 5 is hardest) for the project (for a beginner), A description of the project and any and in some cases the language that it must be done in. (like if you wanted it to use classes you cant do it in C). Please don't be rude as we all know people have ghramar problems (have you been reading this?). All ideas are welcome.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by steveworks
I get it I didn't use a spell checker don't be critical!

Sorry, I don't like it when people pretend like this is your usual txt-tlk c3lly.

Difficulty: 1
Task: Guess The Number
Description: Have computer (pseudo-)randomly generate a number from 1-100. Player must guess this number in N tries - if he gets lower, computer must tell him he or she is too low (vice versa applies for higher).
Language: Any

Name: prime number game:

edit: Difficulty 3

Make a game where The computer tells you to state all the prime numbers in order for a certain 'randomly' generated number. The number should be between 1 and 500 for the players sake. They will only be able to guess wrong three times before they get a game over. At the end if the player wins the computer will then print out every prime number that the player inputed.

Any language.

[Edited by - steveworks on June 8, 2008 10:32:59 AM]

Quote:
Original post by steveworks
Name: prime number game:

Difficulty 4

Make a game where The computer tells you to state all the prime numbers in order for a certain 'randomly' generated number. The number should be between 1 and 500 for the players sake. They will only be able to guess wrong three times before they get a game over. At the end if the player wins the computer will then print out every prime number that the player inputed.

Any language.

Sorry, but I wouldn't consider that a 4 in difficulty!
There has got to be a linky for this somewhere. I heard the C++ workshop which I missed is supposed to have something like this?
Anyways, here is my contribution and something I would rate around a 4 or 5 for a beginner:
Task: Term paper writer
Write a program that uses random number generation to create sentences.
The program should use four arrays of pointers to char called article, noun, verb and preposition.
The program should create a sentence by selecting a word at random from each array in the following order:
article, noun, verb, preposition, article and noun. As each word is picked, it should be concatenated to the
previous words in an array that is large enough to hold the entire sentence.
The words should be separated by spaces. When the final sentence is output, it should start with a capital letter
and end with a period. The program should generate 20 such sentences.

The arrays should be filled as follows: The article array should contain the articles
"the", "a", "one", "some" and "any"; the noun array should contain the nouns
"boy", "girl", "dog", "town" and "car"; the verb array should contain the verbs
"drove", "jumped", "ran", "walked" and "skipped"; the preposition array should contain the prepositions
"to", "from", "over", "under" and "on".

After completing the program, modify it to produce a short story consisting of several of these sentences.
(How about the possibility of a random term-paper writer!)

I'd probably rate something like this a 5 since I know it took me a while to figure out:
Difficulty: 5
Task: encryption program
Language: any probably easier in some than others
Description: (Simple Encryption) Some information on the Internet may be encrypted with a simple algorithm
known as "rot13," which rotates each character by 13 positions in the alphabet.
Thus, 'a' corresponds to 'n', and 'x' corresponds to 'k'. rot13 is an example of symmetric key encryption.
With symmetric key encryption, both the encrypter and decrypter use the same key.

Write a program that encrypts a message using rot13.

Write a program that decrypts the scrambled message using 13 as the key.

I was hoping to do a whole series of little projects like this on my blog, but unfortunately only made one: Mousey Challenge.

It's actually almost identical to my final project for a CS 163 class I took while at university. Main difference is that this utilizes C# instead of Java. The point is to try and write your own mice that can navigate a randomly created world. I'd say the difficulty is around 2 or 3. You can do some pretty basic recursion to achieve the goal, and then step it up when you want to learn more advanced AI.

Quote:
Original post by Shakedown
Obviously none of you have looked at the forum sticky, this thread is already underway here.

Yeah we should move these post there. Then again the difficulty levels are gonna be pretty subjective depending on each individual I would think?
Maybe we can use some of the guidelines like from "Code Complete" to figure it out?
Say if the program uses recursion or easier using recursion like towers of hanoi add a level of difficulty. Necessary use of pointers another level. Necessary nesting levels another level, use of ADT's linked list,etc another level,etc?
I'm sure someone has come up with some sort of method by now?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!