Four Elements - Unofficial Contest?

Started by
156 comments, last by Lesan 14 years, 3 months ago
I know this question may seem a little premature, what with 4E6 not yet completed and the organisers currently dealing with pesky real life issues, but I was wondering when (or if) 4E7 will be held this year. If I remember correctly traditionally the Four Elements contest started in the middle of year, but it had to be delayed to the end for 4E6. I'd be interested in knowing when 4E7 is tentatively slated to be held, even if it's something as vague as the quarter of the year, so I can mentally see if it fits into my schedule for what I'll be doing in 2008/2009. Edit: Now that the discussion has turned to an unofficial Four Elements style contest, I've renamed the thread to reflect that. The original title was "4E7 - rough idea of when it will be held?" There's also now an official information thread for the unofficial contest. [Edited by - Trapper Zoid on October 18, 2009 4:46:02 PM]
Advertisement
Well 4 and 5 started the first week of June. And the 1 through 3 started in May. Last year started at the end of September, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if 4E7 starts sometime after January 2009.
SO is there going to be a 4e7???
:)
This is a very old topic. There have been newer topics about 4E7, check this unofficial response:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/viewreply.asp?ID=3502383
We could always hold an unofficial contest...
Indeed...
However, I'm quite busy, so I'm not sure whether I'd join atm.
Good idea about holding an unofficial contest.

However, I am in process of programming a game and I want to finish it, not interrupt it. However, I may be able to do both at the same time - my game and my Unofficial4E game.

We could use this forum (GDNet contests) for the Contest. I propose we would follow pretty much the same rules as were in 4E6, same time period, same judging criteria.

Now, here`s a poll:

If this Unofficial4E contest started, let`s say, 30th October, and lasted for six months, and had interesting elements and a guarantee that it would be judged on time, would you participate?
Quote:Original post by Lesan
If this Unofficial4E contest started, let`s say, 30th October, and lasted for six months, and had interesting elements and a guarantee that it would be judged on time, would you participate?

Whether the elements are interesting or not doesn't concern me. Making an interesting game out of uninteresting elements is part of the challenge, in my opinion.

Whether it would be judged on time or not does concern me.

I would join up.
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
My main concern is, with a six month time frame, I'd only be interested if there was both a lot of interest and the elements fall into something I would do anyway. The main draw of the contests for me is the community feeling of all working towards a similar goal, so if there's hardly any buzz about the contest there's little incentive. Likewise, if the elements turn out to be too weird, I'm extremely likely to drop it during the concept phase.

However, I'd be at least interested in the concept. I'd probably not use the whole six months, but if it were something I could work on a couple of hours in the weekend I'd be keen. If not, I could always give a hand with the judging.
I would consider joining. One of the main reasons would be like Trapper Zoid said, having a common goal with a group of game programmers. The fun part of this is showing your advancements and comparing them with the advancements of others. Or see what creative ideas others have come up with for the contest.

So for me enough interest would be important. I guess whatever the elements are, some creative thinking would allow a fun game (to make and to play) anyway. Challenging and fun elements can pull a bigger audience though.

Another important item for me would be the minimum system specs. Personally I'm programming in OpenGL 3.x now, so I'd like to see some decent machines (DirectX 10 class hardware) as minimum specs on which the game should run. I'd also really appreciate if Linux would be allowed again as a platform to run on, as Linux is my main development platform.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement