• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JensB

MMO Engine

This topic is 3659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, I got a few thoughts on what I want to do to a MMO - In terms of the mechanics behind leveling, skills and general balance. Now - To fiddle with that, I need an engine to play with, and I have the following basic requirements: - Free, or very cheap :P - Persistent Server capable, supporting at least 10-20 people on a normal desktop machine - Windows based (can maybe do Linux if there is a good reason for it) - Able to modify the class/level/skill set (programming not a problem) - Pre-populated with graphics & sounds that I can use so I don't have to worry about that (it doesn't need to look great, Ultima Online style graphics is fine) - PvP enabled / allowing to be modified for it My thought is to dig out my copy of NWN2 and see what I can do with that, but anyone got any other ideas? Thankful for any input! Edit: Of course, any "emulator" server would be fine to, as long as it would let me fiddle with the levels & skills (not sure how that would work when the client is completely locked though -- maybe through UI mods or something).

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by JensB

- Free, or very cheap :P
- Persistent Server capable, supporting at least 10-20 people on a normal desktop machine
- Windows based (can maybe do Linux if there is a good reason for it)
- Able to modify the class/level/skill set (programming not a problem)
- Pre-populated with graphics & sounds that I can use so I don't have to worry about that (it doesn't need to look great, Ultima Online style graphics is fine)
- PvP enabled / allowing to be modified for it

This one requires your criteria

http://sourceforge.net/projects/planeshift/

From the FAQ:
Quote:
If you want to make an MMORPG, there are some libraries as well:

PlaneShift is open source to the core (including art).
Nevrax/NeL is open source, but tools/art is commercial (The Saga of Ryzom).
RealmCrafter comes with tools, starter art, and a small game; it's $55.
Torque plus RPG Kit at $249 total make for an RPG toolkit.

There are also several commercial libraries that provide more than just networking, such as Forterra Systems OLIVE, the Multiverse platform, Sun Project Darkstar, etc, but those are too extensive in scope to easily fit in the "multiplayer" forum.

Sounds like RealmCrafter is perfect for you, both in scale, cost and platform.
It comes already with a "game" set-up with factions, inventory, classes, etc, and you can change all of that. Sounds perfect for your needs.

thanks guys! I've been checking RC out - also Multiverse - any specific comments on any of those?

With MultiVerse, you have to do more work yourself, and you have to know both C# and Java to extend it. With RealmCrafter, you get more of a finished game that you can modify, although any scripting is done in BASIC.

Quote:
Original post by hplus0603
With MultiVerse, you have to do more work yourself, and you have to know both C# and Java to extend it.

Multiverse uses Python as well.

Multiverse has its good points. But there is a problem that could come up in the future. You can run your game for free, if you do not charge or make a profit (this includes donations (1) & advertising), and you don't have to pay (2). Since the game would be listed in the Multiverse network, unless you want to pay extra have it non-listed (3), you could end up with a lot more than the 10 to 20 friends you had planned for. That could be a problem for you server or bandwidth. Just some food for thought.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!