• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jstroh

Water Simulation / Rendering

This topic is 3835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for resources/tutorials on how it's done as a grid with ripples of the V shaped and radial variety. Thanks :)

Advertisement
Here's one, to start with. ^_^

I've implemented a water simulation based on that resource, to some success; of course, its suitability to your purposes will likely depend on the specifics of your desired behaviour.

Ah extremely helpful.

On a more specific note I'm looking at a confined area (not open ocean) where I would like waves to bounce off geometry and be disrupted by things fall in/walking through.

While I don't know whether the above-linked resource is the best solution for such a design, it can, I believe, be made to work with confined areas, obstructing objects and objects entering it. The project that I mentioned involved a tile-based "terrain", the tiles of which could be raised and lowered. As I recall, with some modifications (detection of obstacles and appropriate alteration of the "pipe" values, for example) the system was able to handle interactions with walls, as well as tiles being raised out of or lowered into water.

I did encounter problems with very confined regions, however, although those can be dealt with, to one extent or another, primarily by placing appropriate restrictions on certain values in the system (such as the amount of water that may be passed between cells in a given simulation step).

On another note, my implementation had problems with my variable timestep, specifically, I think, occasions on which the timestep became too large. It would probably work rather better with a fixed timestep.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!