A C++ game in a day!

Started by
84 comments, last by delta user 15 years, 10 months ago
Help! I've been challenged to make a C++ game in 24 hours! I want to make something simple again, but I need to choose something to make. VERY rudimentary text-based RPG? Something else?
Advertisement
Any RPG is likely too big a project for a single day for a beginner (just making that assumption based on the forum in which you posted).

I would try for something much simpler. If you want text based, maybe do some text based maze thing. If you are doing graphics, something like Snake, Space Invaders, or Pong are good. Maybe do a simple trivia game of some sort. Those I could see being done in a day, but an RPG is probably too big for a single day.
How's about looking at maybe snake using conio? should be doable in 24h for a game programming beginner, provided you have programmed before. My advice would be to keep to a simple game mechanic and a simple graphical output. Of course, you could write a very simple text-based adventure in that time too. Anything graphicswise more than conio would mean using a library like allegro or aha SDL.<br><br>I tried to make scrabble &#111;nce, pretty soon after starting c++, it was hilarious… after several weeks I had got so sick of trying to fix obscure bugs in the game mechanics, and realising every time I got it stable that I had forgotten yet another rule… I finished it short of &#111;nly &#111;ne rule… Still, don't underestimate how OK ASCII art can look<br><pre><br> _______________________ <br>|S |C |R |A |B |B |L |E |<br>|_1|_2|_1|_1|_3|_3|_1|_1|<br></pre><br>Ahem…
How about, instead of an entire RPG, make the battle mode part as the entire game. Or Tic-Tac-Toe?
Hangman could be doable. Or maybe guess the number would be more achievable?
Quote:Original post by cj270608
Help! I've been challenged to make a C++ game in 24 hours!

By whom? Does your challenger know anything about your skill level?
just read smr's post. You should be able to cope with hangman, no? it was you asking about speedy addition the other day, wasn't it... hangman would be good practice for you - have a dictionary of words in a file that you read, choose a random line and use that word. Don't use any graphics, just the text, outputting the letters that have been tried and the letters that are correct, putting a _ in the spaces which haven't been guessed. First build a version which can play hangman, but with a hardcoded word to guess, then extend it to choose from your list.

Good luck!
You can do any game you want? How about guess the number? I'll bet that can be done in less than twenty-four minutes :).

I like the idea of a graphics-less hangman myself. Should be do-able in a 24 hour period and is itself little more than a more complicated guess the number game.

A whole RPG might be a bit much in 24 hours, pending on your skill level I guess. But if you're stuck on that idea, instead of a whole RPG, you might just do a turn-based combat system. You could start by hardcoding all the player and monster stats and have it grow later to load the information from a text file.
@the OP: maybe I'm missing something, but what's your skill level?

24 hours isn't much, especially when you're programming in C++. How about a text adventure?

You step into a dark room. There's all sorts of old stuff here.

> Look at old stuff

It's just old stuff

> Pick up old stuff

I don't want that

> Pick it up, goddammit

Fine! Jeez, Louise. Someone has a temper today! What now?

> Leave room

You know what, I don't wanna play anymore

> Leave the f*cking room

Alright, alright. Uhm. You're in another dark room.

If you keep the grammar reasonably simple, this should be perfectly doable. And it's fun.
Quote:Original post by Harry Hunt
@the OP: maybe I'm missing something, but what's your skill level?

24 hours isn't much, especially when you're programming in C++. How about a text adventure?

You step into a dark room. There's all sorts of old stuff here.

> Look at old stuff

It's just old stuff

> Pick up old stuff

I don't want that

> Pick it up, goddammit

Fine! Jeez, Louise. Someone has a temper today! What now?

> Leave room

You know what, I don't wanna play anymore

> Leave the f*cking room

Alright, alright. Uhm. You're in another dark room.

If you keep the grammar reasonably simple, this should be perfectly doable. And it's fun.

Haha [lol] where can I play this game?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement