.X Files

Started by
2 comments, last by CmpDev 15 years, 10 months ago
I have been loading .X files from 3ds Max 9 into directX however I have a problem now that I care about each vertex that is loaded. I am using the Kilowatt .X exporter and have run into some problems. The .X file that is written contains more vertices than the actual mesh does in 3ds. Say if I create a sphere mesh with 84 verticies the resulting .X file will say something around 115 vertices. Im not sure if this is a problem with the file exporter or if the .X file is required to contain that many vertices to be correctly loaded into directX. The exporter works fine for simple meshes such as boxes and planes. I would just like to know a little more on why there are so many duplicate vertices.
Advertisement
As you really don't have a DirectX question, you may get better help from 3ds forums.

Please don't PM me with questions. Post them in the forums for everyone's benefit, and I can embarrass myself publicly.

You don't forget how to play when you grow old; you grow old when you forget how to play.

The exporter is probably triangulating faces. I've noticed the same behaviour in the Maya exporter to .x files. Sometimes vertices get duplicated in that process. If you want to be sure that's what's happening, look at the model in 3ds to see if the number of triangles (not faces) matches the number of faces in the .x file, and also that every face in the .x file has 3 vertices (assuming you're using ascii .x files). Hope that helps.
David Hooks
I believe it is hosted on sourceforge and has a mailing list but you may get some clarification if this is a result of the exporter by talking to John (hplus0603) or by commenting in the latest exporter thread on these forums.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement