recommend an XNA book

Started by
6 comments, last by Gage64 15 years, 10 months ago
Hi everyone I am thinking about learning XNA, I have read some tutorials online but it seems to me that if I want to be serious about this (and I am) then I need to get a good book. I have done some web search and found that the best book is "Microsoft XNA Unleashed: Graphics and Game Programming for Xbox 360 and Windows". There are some other choices but so far this one seems the best there to begin with Did anyone read this book and do you recommend it or something else? Thanks
Advertisement
I haven't read any other books on XNA so I can't comment on those but one thing I do like about this book is it gets into Components & Services (XNA style of OOP) and Finite State Machines, which I find that a lot of the game programming books I've read don't discuss.

My only complaint is that it doesn't talk about model animation (doesn't even mention it), but I'm sure there's tutorials out there that would cover it.
i'm reading Beginning XNA 2.0 Game Programming and at the moment
looks good
If you know C# already, I would just stick to the online tutorials and the official documentation, because the API changes a lot. The sound stuff in any 1.0 or 2.0 XNA book is already obsolete as the 3.0 CTP has the ability to just play raw sound files without all the XACT stuff.

There are lots of places with XNA stuff, like Ziggyware, creators.XNA.com, Nick Gravelyn(sp)'s stuff. etc...
Thanks
I actually started looking at online tutorials first and since XNA is kinda new and changes alot, the online option seemed the best. However, I always like to understand exactly what is going on and tutorials usually don't help too much in that. Most tutorials are just code without really good explanation about XNA. I am hoping that a book will have more information so I can really understand what is happening. One of my favourite books was 3D game programming with DirectX 8 for Peter Walsh because of the fact that there was alot of theory in the book rather than just some code and you have to figure it out by yourself.
as for the other book "Beginning XNA 2.0 Game Programming: From Novice to Professional ", I checked this one also and it is got good reviews but it was only reviewed by 3 people so I would assume that this isn't enough to make a good judgement.
I have several XNA books but I like the Joseph Hall XNA book the best for readability and working with XNA 2.0 the latest stable version.
Nitcshke XNA book has the most impressive examples but geared towards experienced programmers with it's extensive use of unit testing.
I didn't like the Chad Carter one since it jumped right into 3D and seemed haphazardly put together.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
The help file has enough info to clear up how everything works. I'd recommend getting books on 3D graphics instead, or some good software to create 3d assets.
I'm not familiar with any XNA books so I can't recommend anything, but before buying any book, you should look at it's reviews on Amazon.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement