• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Castaa

Which cross platform C++ sound API do you recommend?

This topic is 3784 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm developing a cross platform OSX/Linux/XP/Vista game using the Irrlicht graphics engine. I'm researching sound C++ APIs. Our game is 3D but a top down space game. So I don't require extremely high end 3D sound processing. I know about these: IrrKlang (cost: ~$150) http://www.ambiera.com/irrklang/ OpenAL (open source) http://www.openal.org/ SDL_sound (open source) http://icculus.org/SDL_sound/ FMOD Ex (shareware license: $100) http://www.fmod.org/index.php/products#FMODExProgrammersAPI Opinions about either? Can anyone recommend another I'm missing? Thanks! :) [Edited by - Castaa on June 10, 2008 12:19:52 PM]

Advertisement
FMOD is free for non-commercial use and Is really easy to use compared to the other free/open source alternatives. OpenAL is a bit harder to use, from what I saw. I also used SDL_sound and its very easy to use.

I would suggest either FMOD or SDL_sound.

I think he's stating that it IS for commercial/shareware use so FMod might not be worth the money.

Also, I don't know if the ModPlug library used by SDL_sound has been ported to Linux yet. If you're just using a music module player and some simple pitch-shifting audio, I'd recommend the MikMod library directly rather than wrapping it in SDL_sound. That should save some memory and still be portable to many operating systems. It also is LGPL like SDL_sound so there should be no license conflicts.

Ya our game is a small scale MMO. It's not really shareware but it's not a full commercial title either. Obviously a huge jump for the $100 license to the full $6000 one for FMOD.

So no one is using IrrKlang? I guess maybe only Irrlicht users would be interesting in using that library.

Thanks for the input so far. It's appreciated.

OpenAL is free and on there are a couple of pretty good tutorials on devmaster.net. That would be my choice..

I am using IrrKlang right now. I was using DX sound but that went the way of the dinosaur. I was going with OpenAL, but I don't feel like messing with coding the multi-threaded self buffering sound code it would need, though it wasn't too hard to get working. IrrKlang does the multi-threading for you, so I chose it instead, and it wasn't that hard either. $150 isn't really all that much to pay for the commercial license either, especially considering that Irrlicht itself is free(which I also use). For example, I believe the indie license for Torque Game Engine Advanced(the newer one) from garagegames.com is $250 last I checked, though it is much more mature and proven than Irrlicht. I happen to like Irrlicht myself though, and members of the Irrlicht community have made scenenodes that combine Irrlicht scenenodes with IrrKlang sound.

Quote:
Original post by kburkhart84
I am using IrrKlang right now. I was using DX sound but that went the way of the dinosaur. I was going with OpenAL, but I don't feel like messing with coding the multi-threaded self buffering sound code it would need, though it wasn't too hard to get working. IrrKlang does the multi-threading for you, so I chose it instead, and it wasn't that hard either. $150 isn't really all that much to pay for the commercial license either, especially considering that Irrlicht itself is free(which I also use). For example, I believe the indie license for Torque Game Engine Advanced(the newer one) from garagegames.com is $250 last I checked, though it is much more mature and proven than Irrlicht. I happen to like Irrlicht myself though, and members of the Irrlicht community have made scenenodes that combine Irrlicht scenenodes with IrrKlang sound.

Thanks

I use OpenAL and I've had good experiences with it. The API is structured similar to OpenGL's so if you have an OpenGL background it may be a good choice.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!