• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ArchG

[web] Web Service's and Speed Issues

This topic is 3721 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have a native windows app, programmed in c# that does a quite a few functions on a database via a web service (user registration, authentication, getting user settings, etc...) On most newer computers this app has no problem starting up...takes about 3 second to load up completely. On older computers, or computers who don't have the power or w/e mine has, the load up time takes sometimes up to 25 seconds. I tried to narrow down what the down fall was, or which part was going slow..and it is always the first time it requests anything from the web service, no matter it what it be, the first time seems to be taking about 15 seconds...everything after that is fine. Does anyone know the reason for this, I thought initially it was the ISP, so we put both comps on the same internet line and still found out the same thing. Any help, or another way to narrow down the problem would be appreciated. Thank You.

Advertisement
From your description, it sounds like it's just the time it takes to download all the classes. If that's the case, then there isn't much you can do besides putting up a "loading..." message.

within my web service project in Visual Studio, I have 4 Projects, the actual web service, and then my data access layer project (where all communication with database is done)...my buisness layer project (where certain buisness/project things are done)...and my model layer (which pretty much just models the database tables I have)..

When the application first connects to the web service, and then requests a piece of information...does it download ALL the classes, or simply the ones it needs, when it needs them?

I'm afraid I don't know a whole lot about how they work, I guess i'll go read some more about web services.

Thanks.

Sorry, I was falling asleep when I wrote that. I meant to say "loading the classes from disk". The .Net framework dynamically loads classes as needed, and the web service stack, while very useful, isn't exactly small. I suggest you monitor disk access to confirm this hypothesis.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!