• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

want to buy some books

This topic is 3841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I want to buy some books on Inverse kinematics. Hopefully with in-depth discussions on the topic and complete source code. Could anyone please recommend some? Thanks Jack

Advertisement
You may want to look for books on robotics, since (I believe), early IK development was done for robotics.

As for specific books, David Eberly discusses IK in a couple of his books, and has an available implementation in source code, available here:

Geometric Tools: Controllers (Look for "IK")

The relevant book chapters are referenced on that page in green/olive font. His website also has a section that lists the books with descriptions.

I also would recommend looking at places other than books. Often, you'll find refinements and advanced ideas in papers/conference presentations that aren't published in books. I can't say how advanced or refined his techniques are, but Chris Hecker has presented his experienced with IK at the game developer's conference on a couple of occasions, and the lectures are available online (but without code). His 2002 presentation can be found here:

Chris Hecker - Inverse Kinematics @ GDC 2002

I do recommend listening to the MP3 as well, since you'll get nuances from the talk that aren't represented in the presentation. Also note that Chris points to other game industry people who have done work with IK, at the end of the presentation.

Hope that helps!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!