OpenGL outdated?

Started by
84 comments, last by Cromulent 15 years, 10 months ago
Hi! Guys, Feeling like a s**t. I was working on a game engine using OpenGL. Today, I heard, opengl actually outdated for industry. Is it true? Then what could be better?
Advertisement
Heard this from where?

What do you think the Wii uses?

I'd love to see something another rendering API can do that OpenGL cannot. I can't think of anything.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

OpenGL 3.0 has been a bit late coming out, but ATI and NVidia haven't shown any signs of reducing interest in supporting OpenGL. While DirectX is big in the PC game industry, OpenGL is pretty much the standard outside of games with OpenGL ES strong in mobile games.
Quote:Original post by SnotBob
OpenGL 3.0 has been a bit late coming out, but ATI and NVidia haven't shown any signs of reducing interest in supporting OpenGL. While DirectX is big in the PC game industry, OpenGL is pretty much the standard outside of games with OpenGL ES strong in mobile games.

Technically if you look at this sanely, OpenGL can never be outdated, and in fact has many advantages. Given the fact that ATI and nVidia are on the architecture review board, I doubt they are going to be reducing support anytime soon. They can't control the API of DirectX, but they have a say in what they want for OpenGL.

Seriously, OpenGL has geometry shaders just like DX10! But guess what, you can use those geometry shaders with XP, just so long as you have a video card that supports geometry shaders.

So honestly, OpenGL will never be out of date as long as ATI and nVidia are on the ARB.
Denzel Morris (@drdizzy) :: Software Engineer :: SkyTech Enterprises, Inc.
"When men are most sure and arrogant they are commonly most mistaken, giving views to passion without that proper deliberation which alone can secure them from the grossest absurdities." - David Hume
The PS3 also runs on a heavily modified version of OpenGL (I thought OpenGL ES, but SnotBob said thats the same for mobile? Could be...) Either way, there are tons of examples for good technology being built with OpenGL. Also, most games from id (Doom 3, Quake, etc..) are built using OpenGL. In fact, I don't know if they've even used DirectX for a game unless it was like the port of Doom 3 for Xbox.

You have the opposite I have, I feel like junk because I DON'T know OpenGL.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

I heard it from a guy who was in industry for 10 years as a programmer.

But I think you guys are right.
Even if it IS outdated, what does that matter to you now? You don't change APIs in the middle of project just because somebody said something to you. Finish out your current project, and then when you are ready to start on your next one, think about doing a little research before you begin. (And no, posting on a forum does not count as research.)
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
With companies like Apple, ATI and Nvidia on the OpenGL architecture review board, OpenGL is not going anywhere any time soon.
OpenGL is still the industry standard for graphics, excluding games, where DirectX has a very large share. The problem with OpenGL nowadays is that it has become a little messy with all these extensions that have been added to it to take advantage of new hardware features... I can't wait to screw around with OpenGL 3.0 though, because judging from some slides i have seen on the net it will be a very elegant API (fresh design).
Quote:Original post by programmermattc
Also, most games from id (Doom 3, Quake, etc..) are built using OpenGL. In fact, I don't know if they've even used DirectX for a game unless it was like the port of Doom 3 for Xbox.

Half Life 2 is actually pure DirectX, from what I hear.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement