Level designer Help!

Started by
4 comments, last by programmermattc 15 years, 10 months ago
Hey i am intreasted in getting into level design and modeling the environments the only problem is that i don't know of any program that i can use to model these environments i only need a basic one and preferably free also can you just use a normal 3d modeling program like 3D max or game space lite
Advertisement
Hi, I started with GameSpace Lite for small details, but for the maps I use Deled Lite Level Designer.
The download is hard to find, Click Here. It supports a lot of popular games.

There are also plenty of Level Editors for other specific games.

Hope this helps.
Dashing Buccaneers - 4% Complete | Ninja Assault - 3% Complete | Space Pirate - 10% Complete
My Blog
My recommendation is to buy a game like Unreal Tournament or Half-life 2 and use the level construction tools that are built in. XSI Mod Tool, which is a free 3d modeling tool, has exporting capabilities for both of those engines as well.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I use blender for modelling and level design. It is free, has a very strong community and very good support.

www.blender.org

--
Ashaman
Depends what level design route you want to take. If your talking about creating environments and worlds its better to go down the environment artist role as a level designer usualy maps out the level, builds prototypes of it (especialy in UnrealED) then scripts events and missions as well as documentation writing.

So there's two routes.

I know the industry is mad :P
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
My recommendation is to buy a game like Unreal Tournament or Half-life 2 and use the level construction tools that are built in.

I agree. Personally I've found Doom 3's editor the easiest but I might just have spent more time in it also. Depending on what you're looking at doing later, I think (not positive) level designers in the industry typically use in-house editors such as the level tools within the aforementioned games whereas modellers build the items the level editors import into the editor to use, the modellers use 3DSM and stuff typically.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement