• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AnthonyArde

Getting started with a MUD

This topic is 3811 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, i have a few questions that should assist me in getting this project started and me in the correct direction. I am using Ubuntu 7.10 with Eclipse as my C++ Editor/Compiler. i`m looking at writing a MUD but i'm not sure where to find material that is going to assist me with my current configuration, for example in windows i would have to have knowledge of winsock, i`m not sure how to do network programming in linux - what i`m going for is a platform independent MUD and if i cant do that then a linux based MUD that is not internet based, only network based (not sure if that makes much difference). any reading material you can offer me would be great. I also have a question about my compiler (eclipse) i have created a makefile project in debug mode and release mode, i have compiled it but when i go to the executables location on my ubuntu box it doesnt run, even though it runs without error in eclipse??? what is that about, it is a simple console app, what is ubuntu's default console program? how do i get this to run as a regular console program? Thanks Anthony.

Advertisement
I'd agree with Penton. His book is really good because he does the basics, but then throws in scripting and other advanced features. Also, if anyone is interested in writing a MUD with other programmers (it is, after all, a big project), I'm looking for some help. I have a thread in the "help wanted" section.

Quote:
but then throws in scripting and other advanced features

Being a bit practical here, I wouldn't use anything except scripting language for a MUD these days.

MUDs peaked long time ago, where performance concerns existed. Today however, Python or Lua would make by far better choice. PHP would even work. C/C++ however, for a game with inherently non-demanding technological side, but emphasis on content and customizability is a suboptimal choice.

This is just the natural evolution. While at some point dedicated computers were required to run Pong, Pacman and Space Invaders, these now come as 4k flash applications embedded into high-fidelity AJAX webpages.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any documentation that would cover these aspects in a comprehensive tutorial.

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
Quote:
but then throws in scripting and other advanced features

Being a bit practical here, I wouldn't use anything except scripting language for a MUD these days.

MUDs peaked long time ago, where performance concerns existed. Today however, Python or Lua would make by far better choice. PHP would even work. C/C++ however, for a game with inherently non-demanding technological side, but emphasis on content and customizability is a suboptimal choice.

This is just the natural evolution. While at some point dedicated computers were required to run Pong, Pacman and Space Invaders, these now come as 4k flash applications embedded into high-fidelity AJAX webpages.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any documentation that would cover these aspects in a comprehensive tutorial.

Hence my recommendation for the Penton book since I haven't seen MUD's covered from start to finish anywhere else?

Actually, you'd be surprised by just how popular MUDs are even today. I can name several MUDs that have over thirty players on almost every day. They may not be on par with MMO's by a long shot, but they still do have a very hardcore fanbase and have the added advantage of being able to make gameplay complex and balanced without worrying about graphics and performace. They're also a good intro to socket programming and very inexpensive to keep up.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!