• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kuroioranda

[OGRE] Rendering arbitrary geometry

This topic is 3758 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently looking at using OGRE to replace my usual setup of custom OpenGL calls. It seems to suit my needs pretty well, but there is one thing more I need it to do that none of the information in the wiki seems to hint at. I want the ability to render arbitrary geometry in the scene. For the force-field effects that I plan on using, I will need the ability to render plain quads in the scene in some way, and be able to manually adjust their location and orientation (being able to modify the vertices directly would be ace). The only way I can see of doing this is to create a Mesh and manually add the polygons to that, but that seems kind of resource heavy for such a simple object. So, could anyone experienced with OGRE give me some advice to point me in the right direction for this?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by kuroioranda
I'm currently looking at using OGRE to replace my usual setup of custom OpenGL calls. It seems to suit my needs pretty well, but there is one thing more I need it to do that none of the information in the wiki seems to hint at.

I want the ability to render arbitrary geometry in the scene. For the force-field effects that I plan on using, I will need the ability to render plain quads in the scene in some way, and be able to manually adjust their location and orientation (being able to modify the vertices directly would be ace). The only way I can see of doing this is to create a Mesh and manually add the polygons to that, but that seems kind of resource heavy for such a simple object.

So, could anyone experienced with OGRE give me some advice to point me in the right direction for this?

1 - head over to www.ogre3d.org's forums, I'm a lot more active on those forums (nullsquared) [wink]

2 - use Ogre::ManualObject with begin() on the first geometry fill, and beginUpdate(0) on the next geometry re-fills for dynamic updating. It'll also help to estimateVertexCount(N), estimateIndexCount(N), and setDynamic(true)

3 - always check the docs

Thanks!

I did wade through the docs a bit, but there is just so much there, I was pretty sure that I would end up finding a *wrong* way to do it and really shooting myself in the foot later on. I usually find it better to appeal to the knowledge of people more experienced than myself so I get off to a good start :).

Thanks again, I really appreciate the reply!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!