• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bobsaget

Xna and me?

This topic is 3665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Thanks for the responses to the directx tutorials. Someone recommended that I check out xna because of ease to use as well as the fact that it has a lot of tutorials that are online about it. It looks very good but I have some more questions before I look into it more. 1- Is it mainly an xbox 360 API? That seems to be all microsoft talks about with it and I do not own or plan on owning a 360 or buying the membership license. Am I missing out? Is that what XNA is mainly for? 2- Can I use microsoft networking for it or do I have to go through games for windows live? 3- Some of the people that recommended it as a step to DX. Is that what it is or is a full blown system? Thanks

Advertisement
1) XNA can be built for both Windows and Xbox 360. I've written numerous articles on building in XNA and I don't even own (or even care for) the 360. You can develop for Windows systems.

2) Unsure what you mean, but I don't think it goes through Games For Windows, I think the networking stuff is built in.

3) XNA is a layer built on top of DirectX so it uses DirectX behind the scenes to run but is built for a different target audience, the hobbyist game programmer.

You can find my tutorials here if you're interested: XNA Development Tutorials

Here are some other resources:

Creators Club Site (best forum resource imo)

Ziggyware - Listing of lots of good tutorials including more advanced items.

Otherwise do a simple Google search on XNA and see what you can find.

Quote:
Original post by bobsaget1- Is it mainly an xbox 360 API? That seems to be all microsoft talks about with it and I do not own or plan on owning a 360 or buying the membership license. Am I missing out? Is that what XNA is mainly for?
Some will argue such, but I still think it's a great Windows API as well. Best part is that one Windows you can ignore any parts of the API you don't want to use and just substitute any other .NET code or library in for it.

Quote:
2- Can I use microsoft networking for it or do I have to go through games for windows live?
On Windows you can use any networking available in .NET with your XNA games. In fact you cannot sell a game using Windows LIVE with XNA, so if your goal is to make money, you are required by the EULA to use a different networking API.

Quote:
3- Some of the people that recommended it as a step to DX. Is that what it is or is a full blown system?
While it will help learning Direct3D9 I suppose, it is a full API on its own.

I'm currently using XNA to develop an RPG for Windows. But, yeah, there is a lot of hype regarding the 360. I mean heck, Microsoft is allowing us to program for their console. What other consoles have that option (at 100$ year membership)?

Xbox live was actually just supported as of XNA 2.0 but you can still use directPlay (as far as I'm aware) or any other network protocols (I think C# and the .NET platform has its own libraries).

I really don't know the answer to #3 though - sorry.

-Xy

Heck, I consider XNA to be more suited for Windows development than for the 360 but that's just me. If you're looking to learn Direct3D, IMO XNA is a great way to do it since it's really not much more than a wrapper around the native API. There's really not a whole lot you could do in native D3D9 that you can't do in XNA...it certainly hasn't gotten in my way at all in my experience. Plus you've got some nicer helper classes that aren't available to you in D3DX.

Quote:
Original post by Xyphyx
I'm currently using XNA to develop an RPG for Windows. But, yeah, there is a lot of hype regarding the 360. I mean heck, Microsoft is allowing us to program for their console. What other consoles have that option (at 100$ year membership)?

Xbox live was actually just supported as of XNA 2.0 but you can still use directPlay (as far as I'm aware) or any other network protocols (I think C# and the .NET platform has its own libraries).

I really don't know the answer to #3 though - sorry.

-Xy

For those interested i believe you can get a creators club account for FREE! when you register to make a game for DBP '08

http://www.dreambuildplay.com

You would need to buy an Xbox 360 though to take advantage of the saving as the games must be made to run on the 360 this year.

Quote:
Original post by fanaticlatic
For those interested i believe you can get a creators club account for FREE! when you register to make a game for DBP '08

You would need to buy an Xbox 360 though to take advantage of the saving as the games must be made to run on the 360 this year.

FRIGGIN A - NO WAY! I've been wanting to try my hand at 360 games for a while now. I just haven't had the cash.

-Xy

Yah you can use Dream spark as well to get a free 1 year membership as well.

It does seem promising, but my only qualms about it are that In college I spent so much time learning to use the opengl api and now it seems there may be a slightly easier method.

XNA is a great API to use. It handles everything nicely, rendering, input, timing, sound, etc.. and you don't need to use it as something easy to learn before learning a 'real api'.

I was using DX9 and GL, and I jumped to XNA both because I prefer C#, and XNA is real easy to learn and use.

Quote:
Original post by fanaticlaticFor those interested i believe you can get a creators club account for FREE! when you register to make a game for DBP '08

It's worth mentioning, the free 12 month creators club membership is a trial only, with it you will be able to deploy 360 games like normal but you will be missing out on the new creators club website features such as submiting, review, share etc...

Altough you could share your game using other methods however.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!