W32 Console Application pasting

Started by
7 comments, last by Evil Steve 15 years, 10 months ago
In VS C++ I've created a W32 console application which I want to be able to paste a string into, just like you can in cmd. I haven't been able to find anything on the net showing me how to allow right-click so the menu comes up, is this possible?
Advertisement
i don't think that it's possible, thats why it's a consol application ... or do you mean the "copy & past" context ? that should shown by default on right click ...
Yep I mean the context-menu when you right-click just like on a command prompt, it doesn't show up in console applications that I make.
As in cmd, click on the window icon in the top left corner, select "Properties" and turn on "QuickEdit Mode" and/or "Insert Mode", depending on what you prefer.
I can't get the right context-menu showing but with Quick Edit I can right-click and it will paste into it straight away. It says I can save this option for all console apps with the same name however, this is a local computer setting right? If I send this app to someone else will they have to set it again for themselves?
Quote:Original post by RajveerIf I send this app to someone else will they have to set it again for themselves?

That's correct. Why it's off by default, only Microsoft knows.

Quote:Original post by Rattenhirn
Quote:Original post by RajveerIf I send this app to someone else will they have to set it again for themselves?

That's correct. Why it's off by default, only Microsoft knows.

Because it's possible for console apps to recieve mouse events and do stuff with them. Quickedit breaks these apps.

AFAIK this sort of thing is mostly used by line-of-business tty apps that are emulating some ancient mainframe terminal. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which side of the budget and maintenance you're on) a relatively huge number of business still depend on such things.
-Mike
Quote:Original post by Anon Mike
Because it's possible for console apps to recieve mouse events and do stuff with them. Quickedit breaks these apps.

AFAIK this sort of thing is mostly used by line-of-business tty apps that are emulating some ancient mainframe terminal. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on which side of the budget and maintenance you're on) a relatively huge number of business still depend on such things.

Well, that would explain, why you can turn it on and off, but not why it's off by default. But it's moot to discuss this thing anyways...
Related link

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement