GNU Licence and remakes

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 15 years, 10 months ago
Hi, i've been looking on the web for an answer to my question, but haven't found it yet. SO therefore i ask here: If a computer game is distributed as open source freeware under The GNU General Public License (GPL): Would it then be legal for another person to do a remake of the game for a different platform (handheld), using the original graphics, and release the work as a freeware open source under The GNU General Public License (GPL) ?
Advertisement
Why not just ask the original author(s)?
blah :)
It depends on what license the graphics are under. If they are GPLed too, then it should be fine. Often times, however, the game's source code will be under the GPL, but the media will not be open (I believe this is the case with id's old games).

Of course I'm no lawyer, so ...

As far as i can see, the graphics files are included in the source code package, as .dat files, together with header files with "Allegro datafile object indexes" (C macros, actually)..

So, i guess the GFX are also under GPL, then...??

BTW, i sent them an email about it, lets see what they say..
Quote: So, i guess the GFX are also under GPL, then...??

GPL should not be used for non-source content.

The license is worded for source code to compiled programs. It does not apply to images, sound, and other non-text compiled resources, except under very specific situations that almost never apply.

Copyright protections cover derivative works, and a remake of a game generally (but not always, see a lawyer) is considered a derivative work.

Finally, assuming the original authors are willing to grant you permission to make a remake, you should probably get a lawyer involved to make sure you have all the permissions you need.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement