• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
raptorus

DIRECTX QUESTIONS

This topic is 3661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI 1. IS .x FILE FORMAT FREE ? 2. IS THE DX LIB FREE TO DISTRIBUTE WITH MY APP ? 3. HOW TO TRIANGULATE A WAVEFRONT OBJ FILE SO THAT EACH FACE OF IT WILL CONTAIN ONLY 3 VERTICES (NO QUADS) ? 1000 THANXXXX

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by raptorus
HI
1. IS .x FILE FORMAT FREE ?
2. IS THE DX LIB FREE TO DISTRIBUTE WITH MY APP ?
3. HOW TO TRIANGULATE A WAVEFRONT OBJ FILE SO THAT EACH FACE OF IT WILL CONTAIN ONLY 3 VERTICES (NO QUADS) ?

1000 THANXXXX
1. Yes
2. The .lib files are only needed to build your application. The DLLs can only be redistrirbuted by including the DirectX redistributable package with your exe, or linking the user to the online version.
3. You can just make triangles from each polygon something like:

for(int i=0; i<num_verts_in_this_poly-2; ++i)
{
D3DVECTOR3 a = this_poly.verts;
D3DVECTOR3 b = this_poly.verts[i+1];
D3DVECTOR3 c = this_poly.verts[i+2];
add_triangle(a, b, c);
}

And please refrain from typing posts in all caps.

As Steve said - absolutely definitely learn where your CAPS LOCK button is and turn it to OFF. Thank you.

In addition to Steve's answer for #3, ultimately it is your responsibility to ensure the input data is in a format that Direct3D can handle. It's a low-level API and doesn't have any understanding of external file formats - the .X meshes don't even exist within the core runtime, let alone any 3rd party non-MS formats!

hth
Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!