• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Dragon_Strike

remote compiling

This topic is 3781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am mostly working away from home on my laptop... which is kinda of weak and it takes a while to compile some of my larger projects... however i have a quite powerful server at home... i was wondering if there was anyway to do the compiling remotely on the server? im using VS 2008 btw

Advertisement
VPN + remote desktop?

//edit:
I suppose xoreax's incredibuild + vpn would work quite well, other than the fact it is really expensive...

But I use a vpn to set up a repository on my home machine, vpn to it, and build on it and the copy the exe's back when time becomes an issue. Not perfect but it works

There are a couple ways you could do it.

The straightforward do-it-yourself way, is get friendly with the 'msbuild' command-line tool, which lets you build a VS project from the command line. Then it is not too hard to copy your latest source code over (perhaps with rsync), then use a SSH console to call msbuild. One you can do that, it's not too hard to write a script which does everything automatically.

Then as mentioned there's Incredibuild.

You could also set up your home computer as a continuous-integration server, and perhaps use one of the products listed here. I don't really have much experience with these. We use Parabuild at work but I never touch it, so I don't know whether or not to recommend it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!