• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wforl

3ds max directx shader

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Ive been playing with this lately and was confused about the following // transformations float4x4 World : WORLD; float4x4 View : VIEW; float4x4 Projection : PROJECTION; float4x4 WorldViewProj : WORLDVIEWPROJ; float4x4 WorldView : WORLDVIEW; they dont seem to be declared as extern, so where are all these matrices coming from, i gather that the view and proj are taken from the current viewing camera being used in the scene. and also is there anything else i can bring from the scene? such as time, or being able to link object properties? is there a help file on this for 3ds max, so i can see exactly what parameters i can access in from the scene to the shader?

Advertisement
My knowledge of shaders is limited, and I'm not sure how 3ds Max does it, but...

things like PROJECTION and VIEW are called semantics. They're part of a standard collection of mostly-universally-accepted semantics that you can use, called the "Standard Annotations and Semantics(SAS).

You can find a list of SAS-compatible semantics Here. Just scroll down to "List of Common Semantics. 3ds Max most likely uses most or all of these (except where noted, such as the "FX Composer" section).

I'm not sure how to pass your own data, but it probably involves directly modifying effect Parameters from your program (not sure how that analogues to 3ds Max, though). I can't say for sure, because I've never really tried.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!