• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Akela

Basic questions, both programmers and graphical questions

This topic is 3812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First of all, before I start asking questions you should know A: I'm NOT trying to make a MMORPG B: I'm learning these things, tips and advice are MORE then welcome... C: Please try to stick to C++ or Java D: This is a bet I made with my father who thinks I cannot do this Questions to the programmers - What type of images do you need to be able to use them in a 3d game? ( which extentions ) - Is it possible to combine both 2d and 3d images ( 2d being for the interface, and 3d for the models if yes, which extentions? ) - Can an interface be divided into several applications? ( one being equipment, another being the chat server, ect ) - Making it a small multiplayer envirment, I need to work with a database, now that database needs to be able to store and retreive information as I login and logout... also closing the connection automaticly if user didn't move/interacted ect... - Connecting to the database from a website in order to create new accounts... I assume you'll advice me a mixture from both languages, is there any good book about this available? - Which type of database do you suggest? Needs to be able to hold chatlogs from several channels, store and retreive information from accounts, skills, equipment, quests... you get the idea. Questions to the graphic designers - For your landscapes, which program do you use? - Do you apply the textures yourself or do you let the programmer do that? - How long do you work on a model avarage? Example; You are asked to create a high detailed 3d modeled dragon... Does your employee care about how long you spend time on it or do you get the time to finish it until you are pleased? Questions for both: - I wish to create a small 3d town... Now do I create everything in one 3d model or do I create the landscape, the houses, the tree's, the statues, walls ect seperate and program them into one town? - I'm not english, so excuse me for the unclear question that is about to follow: I've been playing several games, some have 'glitches' where they can go inside a building and shoot people from inside it/under the "map" , I wish to know what went wrong here? ( I reffer you to the game: Soldier Front ) Also in the same game there is been spoken of 'modemtapping', one guy can kill everyone without even been seen or anything, he basicly is invisible to everyone, and kills you at the begin of the round, with a granade when everyone is in their spawning point, without we being able to do something, no matter where we are, we die as soon as the server gets that information from his computer... can this be stopped? I'm sorry for my terrible english *blush* Thank you in advance

Advertisement
Multiverse will be your best bet at this point.

Quote:
some have 'glitches' where they can go inside a building and shoot people from inside it/under the "map" , I wish to know what went wrong here? ( I reffer you to the game: Soldier Front ) Also in the same game there is been spoken of 'modemtapping', one guy can kill everyone without even been seen or anything, he basicly is invisible to everyone, and kills you at the begin of the round, with a granade when everyone is in their spawning point, without we being able to do something, no matter where we are, we die as soon as the server gets that information from his computer... can this be stopped?

The answer is very complex, but the simplest one being: Something somewhere has to give. There's limited resources, and you need to sacrifice something.

These games tried to do more than they could.

But right now, you're a very long way from any of these issues being a concern.

I thank you for your reply, and I have added a rating to your account for it.

Anyone else? :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!