• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Silicon Seed

atlbase.h and other missing links

This topic is 3660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am following the great tutorial at directxtutorial.com the only problem is that everytime it says to include a .h file it is no where to be found. I go searching my HDD and I have been able to find most of them (int he directX sdk dir) and place them into my Visual Studio 2008 Express paths. I also noticed that libraries were missing from the correct path. However some are nowhere... Like atlbase.h. I tried downloading it off some internet site but when I include it in the project I get errors like USES_CONVERSION undeclared identifier, and CA2W identifier not found. Where do I get the official .h files like atlbase.h that I need to continue with this tutorial. The tutorial says you should just be able to type #include <atlbase.h> and be good, no mention of having to purchase it or download it from somewhere... I am downloading the Windows Server 2008 SDK that everyone said mabey contains it, I can't see what Windows Server has to do with game programming though..

Advertisement
I personally don't use Visual Studio, but a cursory google search reveals that these files apparently aren't included with the express edition of Visual Studio, instead being packaged with the full version. These links may be helpful to you:

atlbase.h - MSDN Forums
atlbase.h not found, by VC++ or by me....

As a side note, it's usually better to include the path to a library's files (such as the DirectX SDK files) in your project options, rather than moving those files to the compiler's include directory. Doing so makes upgrading to a later version of the library considerably easier and reduces clutter in the compiler's directories.

That is odd.. I am following this tutorial http://www.directxtutorial.com/Tutorial9/C-Direct3DMeshes/dx9C.aspx

and it says that Express Edition will work under the prereq. It seems odd that I can load meshes with the express edition but not meshes with textures. I need that atlbase.h to load the textures according to this guide.

Quote:
Original post by Puck
I personally don't use Visual Studio, but a cursory google search reveals that these files apparently aren't included with the express edition of Visual Studio, instead being packaged with the full version. These links may be helpful to you:

atlbase.h - MSDN Forums
atlbase.h not found, by VC++ or by me....

As a side note, it's usually better to include the path to a library's files (such as the DirectX SDK files) in your project options, rather than moving those files to the compiler's include directory. Doing so makes upgrading to a later version of the library considerably easier and reduces clutter in the compiler's directories.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!