• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
arcooke

Any Torque Engine users here?

This topic is 3778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just have a few quick questions about the TGE (regular, not advanced). I would ask on their forums but they require you to buy the engine before you can post on the forums (that drives me nuts). How much can be done creating a game without having to modify the engine code itself? For example, if you wanted to make a Need For Speed style racing game, could you do that using only TorqueScript? If you wanted to create an airplane/dogfighting game, could that be done with only TorqueScript? Maybe it would be better to ask this: what would the reasons be for someone to need to edit the source code? Also, it seems like all the feature demos have the standard Torque-style client/server screens (example: http://i26.tinypic.com/2pz9qmw.png). Is this something that can be changed without digging into the engine source? I don't like having games looking like they came out of some pre-packaged deal. Lastly (I think), what is the maximum size you could make a single map? Could you theoretically create a map the size of, say, GTA San Andreas or TES4 Oblivion .. again, without modifying source code? I just want to get back into making simple little games in my free time and I don't quite have the time or knowledge to dig in and mess with the torque source. I want something somewhat easy and fast to work with.. yet powerful enough to accomplish most tasks. Torque seems to fit well within these requirements. Thanks!

Advertisement
Sorry to bash a product that's not mine, but from my experience I couldn't make anything work direct from torque script without going to see in native code how it was handled. Everything is undocumented and you even have traces of old non-functioning things left everywhere. Modifying the engine to support new stuff is also fastidious.

You could use the vehicle class and try to do a NFS game, but you physics will be limited and at the end you will find out you can't change much. Airplanes might work too using some existing classes.

You can change the user interface without modifying the code, it's handled in the *.gui files.

About the map size, just check the map editor and you'll see the maximum it gives you.

-There are packs and examples for racing, and for airplanes/dogfighting too. In theory, you can code pretty much all of the gameplay only in Torquescript. The more familiar you become with it, the less you change the C++ code... But few people make it without adding some source code now and then.

-You could create a map of almost any size by changing the scale of your assets, if you are ready to sacrifice the resolution of the heightmap. Even with the default scale, the largest map is pretty huge.

-No engine will be both powerful and trivial to modify, but Ive found TGE ideal for making fast prototypes, demos and proof-of-concepts for my AI ideas.

Thanks for the replies.

@Dunge
Would it not be possible to write custom vehicle physics (for example) through torque script? I guess I'm just trying to get a grasp on how much is actually handled by the engine itself, and how much is possible via torquescript. Their website is so limited on information, it's really difficult to gauge what I'm getting myself into. That, coupled with the fact that their forums are locked down to paying customers only (which was a horrible decision if you ask me), makes it tough to find these things out.

@Steadtler
No, I'm not very willing to sacrifice resolution.. if you could compare the default size (good resolution) to a map in another common game, what would you compare it to? Any ideas?

Ya, I wasnt very impressed with the forums or the help tutorials. There is very very little explanation for torquescript. Being familiar with C++ I can see what its doing but still decent documentation would be nice. Maybe its there and I am missing it..

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!