• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kobalt64

SlimDX Troubles (Or, Direct3D debug runtime troubles)

This topic is 3778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm getting some unexpected errors when running SlimDX with the debug runtimes enabled. Basically, when the debug runtime is enabled it throws an error saying that the mag filter in my shader is unsupported... When it runs perfectly fine using the retail runtime (And yes, it most certainly is using anisotropic filtering :). Is this normal or what? I know how to fix it (Change the mag/min filters to point), but it's gonna be annoying if I have to change that line in my code every time I want to debug stuff :>. This parts for the team working on SlimDX: SlimDX is really sweet. Took hardly anytime at all to convert my project from XNA to SlimDX. I'm using it for my major yr 12 project, I'll be showing it to you guys soon enough :). The little library I'm making that uses it might even be good to use as one of your samples... It's little & simple and I put a fair amount of comments in there, I guess I'll show you's when it's finished.

Advertisement
On most cards anisotropic is only valid as a min filter. You'll want to use linear as the mag one.

You can verify this by going to the DirectX caps viewer that comes with the SDK and navigating to [card name]->D3D Device types->HAL->Caps->TextureFilterCaps. If you turn on show all caps in the view menu you'll see that D3DPTFILTERCAPS_MAGFANISOTROPIC isn't supported.

Retail runtime error checking is minimal to ensure speed. By turning on the debug layer you are enabling full error checking for the D3D api calls. If an error is reported it means that the same error is happening without the debug layer and likely means your results will be undefined. You may find that it is working or looks fine on one driver/device, but there is no guarantee that it would continue to do so or that another vender's hardware would produce the same results. If you're using D3D10, there are no caps to refer to.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!