• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
myers80

Help with finding some good books

This topic is 3833 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

One of my good friends and I have decided we would like to start making a game in our spare time. We are both proficient in c/c++ and have a fairly good understanding of DirectX, and own lots of books in both those areas. I was hoping some of you may have some books you could recommend, for some other areas we are interested in. Namely, memory management, AI, and collision detection. Also, any other subjects you think may be helpful. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
You might also be interested in shaders. Shaders help you get realistic visuals to your game such as per-pixel lighting, blurring, texture overlays (for the screen), and loads of other things that make current-gen -> next-gen graphics. Plus, shaders are written usually in assembly or HLSL (if using DirectX), which will provide you a challenge considering you'll be learning a new 'language'. I can't really confirm it, but I've heard around anything written by Wolgang Engel is probably pretty good.

If you want serious, hardcore collision detection and AI, check out the Morgan Kaufman (publisher) series of books. Not for the faint of heart or the math challenged.

If you want AI info, i always recommend the Game AI Programming Gems series and the regular Gems series as well.

I have bought a couple books on game development and the only two I actually use are the red book for opengl, and the game gems book I got. I'd grab game gems #1 if I was you and go from there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!