Harry Potter mmorpg

Started by
4 comments, last by ruby-lang 15 years, 10 months ago
Hey everyone, I just started programming and had an idea for a game but im nowhere near the point to be able to program this type of game. But I know yall can. I dont care how old I am I love the Harry Potter series. Okay, its a HP mmorpg as you can see in the title. Its just like any other mmorpg, you make your character and start living in the world. But I want it to have a Fable feel to it.(I also have another mmorpg idea with the Fable theme too.) You make your wizard, and pick what house your in. Now your 17 in the game so your maybe in your last year or just left Hogwarts. Maybe you can age in the game. But you can be a good wizard or evil wizard. It could be when Voldemort was at large the first time or when he came back. Or maybe set it when the founders of Hogwarts where alive. But to learn new spells you go to Hogwarts and learn them in one of the classrooms. But you will need enough exp and stuff like that to learn stronger ones. Now you can have jobs to make money, and say your a good wizard and your job is an Auror(Dark wizard catcher) You go out and find someone in the Slytheren house and duel them. They dont really stay in jail but you could get a reward for defeating them. And i think it would be fun cause you could go and vist the places in the books like the forbidden forest and diagon alley. Well thats just a rough idea i had and thought id post it on here in case anyone would wanna make it. Cause there is alot of Harry Potter fans and i think that game would do really well. "Time is an illusion with a purpose"-Edgar Cacey
Time is an Illusion with a purpose. -Edgar Cacey
Advertisement
Not a bad idea but you'd never get the license from J.K. Rowling. I believe that EA has an exclusive license to that IP.

-me
I would suggest writing up a design document for it. Really, in your idea the Harry Potter series isn't a critical element to the game play. If you wrote that same thing changing the main characters name and possibly removing that item about being in school I wouldn't even imagine it as Harry Potter. And, you know what, I'd definitely play it too. You've got a really good start, just see if you can form your own story from it (or get a writer to do the story while you do the design).

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

Quote:Original post by SkyPirate
Cause there is alot of Harry Potter fans and i think that game would do really well.

Yes it would do quite well I believe, because it would be based on tremendously popular Intellectual Property (IP). The law provides some protection for people owning IP, which generally means that you have to fork out money to use it. And the more useful the IP, the more you are going to have to pay, so only a large company like Electronic Arts (EA) is going to get a license to use it.

So while a Harry Potter MMORPG could be great, it's not worth discussing since no independent developer will get to make one (that they could maintain).

Legal issues if you make it a satire ???

If you do it too crudely/distastefully no doubt there are special cases...

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
They can still make you prove it is a satire in court. By then, you'll have spent 3x your development and hosting costs in legal fees. And if you want to make a satire game, you'll be more successful if you base it on WoW.

I do believe there is a market for a good urban fantasy MMORPG, though, maybe with a more affordable license like the Dresden Files or the World of Darkness.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement