• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SkyPirate

First Star Online

This topic is 3812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am new to programming and was looking at all the fourms here and wanna say I like alot of yalls ideas. I am posting this thread cause I read the sticky about mmorpgs. Saying that it would cost too much to make one. But here is a 2d mmorpg that you can add your own code to. I have seen alot of threads asking about game engines and the like. But I havent seen any about First Star Online. First Star Online is a 2d game server,client you can use to make a drag and drop mmorpg. AND you can script w/e you want into it. So basicly its a 2d mmorpg engine which is free and comes with already made sprites and tiles. You can script anything you want into the game to make it your own. Now its been like a year since ive played a FSO game but I know someone with a client and all that good stuff if anyone wants one. Or I think you can buy one for like 20 bucks on the website.

Advertisement
I think you fail to understand the difference between MMORPG and MORPG. The additional M for Massive is something you are hugely underestimating. I highly doubt First Star Online could support a massive game with tens of thousands of people playing in the same world. Also, you mentioned using already made sprites and tiles? And drag-and-drop? Hmm... I smell cookies. Must be a cookie-cutter around here somewhere.

To make a engine that can support a massive amount of players its not the same as one that supports multiplayer. Not by a long shot. And thats just the engine. You also have to create a game good enough to attract a massive number of players. This isn't going to be something you will accomplish by a few weeks of drag-and-drop components, pre-made graphics, and a few simple scripts here and there. If making MMORPGs, or even just quality single-player games, was as easy as drag-and-drop components, selecting pre-made graphics and a few scripts here and there, you'd see it used more often. Keep in mind that theres tons of indy MMORPG projects that have been in work for years, most of which have died off once people realize how much work it really is.

If you want to make a MORPG, go for it. It'll still take a lot of time and effort. FSO can help you learn how the basic aspects of things work until you learn how to program, but don't expect a MMORPG to be so easy. Or even a MORPG with 100+ users.

Quote:
I know someone with a client and all that good stuff if anyone wants one. Or I think you can buy one for like 20 bucks on the website.

That smells like piracy to me. Piracy is a bannable offense on Gamedev.net. I will raise your warning level, and note on your account -- if you suggest piracy again, you will be banned.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!