Terrain tiles

Started by
3 comments, last by Captain P 15 years, 10 months ago
Hi, I am currently working on a web based game with 2d maps where you can move around. The only thing I've been stuck on for about a week now are the maps themselves. I want to create stylish nice, fantasy-ish textures/tiles/terrains for my maps like the ones in Warcraft 3, I do not know any other nice example so I've taken that one. I really like the tiles on that one, so I would like to create some, I've searched Google like 20 times already with all the keywords I know but no succes :( I'll show you guys some screenshots to let you know what I'm after: The ground on this map is very nice, I like it. Also the grass is of my taste. http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/c/c9/Warcraft_3_Humans_fight_Orcs_screenshot.jpg The grass is pretty nice here too: http://download.net.pl/img/c2476801ef2278db9939c739502ddbc9.jpg So that's the thing I'm after and unfortunately I haven't been able to find ANY tutorials on this subject that appeal to me. All I get are how-to-make-crappy-tilesets tutorials with ugly looking ground/grass etc. Do I have to draw it on paper or can I create this kind of thing with Photoshop? Thanks
Advertisement
Quote:So that's the thing I'm after and unfortunately I haven't been able to find ANY tutorials on this subject that appeal to me. All I get are how-to-make-crappy-tilesets tutorials with ugly looking ground/grass etc.

Whether they appeal to you or not, they can teach you important techniques like lighting, perspectives, dithering, etc. Generally such tutorials are meant to help give beginners an idea of how such techniques can be used, and to leave the rest up to them since there are limitless applications/styles/things that could be drawn using such techniques.

Now to make such artwork you don't necessarily need a Tutorial, a good way to learn is to study as many examples of the kind of terrain you want and try to recreate it for yourself by seeing how they did it, or you could try experimenting until you find something you like.

You may or may not find Photoshop easier/better, it does come equipped with various filters which may prove useful. I would suggest trying out various tools like Paint.Net, The Gimp, or Graphics Gale, in addition to photoshop until you find the tool(s) you like the best. You could even try experimenting with modeling programs to produce topography.

Good luck with your terrain, and don't forget to practice. ;D
Playing around a bit with Photoshop I came up with this texture:
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7232/grasscopygz6.png

It looks pretty good all I want now is to create the edges. So if you guys have some tips on this please post them...
Try looking at this Tiled Terrain tutorial (for photoshop).
These articles might be of interest to you. Granted, they're pixel-art oriented, but the same principles can still be of use to you.
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement