• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
brain21

Want to start on phone

This topic is 3653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'd like to start programming for phones. Are there many different types of OS's for phones? Do I have to pick one and go with it or is there a form of flash for phone games that I can use to code for multiple phones? Also, is it possible to get to the camera on a phone so I can make games that need you to take pictures like picture books or stuff like that? And what about the video capability of the phone? If it has some, can I access that through coding? Is there a website out there for begginers to this? Brain21

Advertisement
There are several OSes. Symbian is the most popular, though it carries two major UIs: UIQ and S60 that are not compatible. Just about all phone features are available to third party programs on S60 phones, including camera and video.

JavaME is available on many platforms, though even then you need to deal with different screen resolutions and such, which is why there are multiple versions of Java games for different phones. JavaME is quite limited in terms of functionality.

Ok, thanks, I'll have to look into these. I don't have a phone right now, so I'll have to get a cheap one. I have an old blackberry, but I don't think IT would let me load my own stuff on there.

Thanks again!
Brain21

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!