• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sfoxpt04

create a fighting game

This topic is 3827 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
you should be more specific.....

wait.. hell no. . I got a better one...

never mind visual studio.. isn't there an open source project that lets you make your own 2d fighting game stuff???

spekin de which. .. you mean MK1 right??? don't you need actors for that? and video cameras? ? ?

Yeah, MUGEN is a fighting game engine. There's also fighter maker and some other stuff like that. A simple fighting game isn't hard. Start with SDL in VC++ and get some ripped sprites from MK or something and have them walk about on the screen, then put in two. Then add collision detection, then add punching, kicking, whatever.

Then make a state machine for the AI that reacts to what the player does like:

switch(p1Move)
{
case 0: //Punch
if(certain distance away from player 1)
do this
else
do this
break;

case 1: //Kick
etc. etc.
break;
}

Stuff like that, there's not much to a SIMPLE fighting game. You'll also want to probably keep a Queue of buttons that were hit, like the last 3 or so. So if the player does like ->, A, <- or something you can activate special moves.

I has one of these going...

Here is the high level trek that I made to get things a working...

1- A sprite class, something that can display a frame for an object at a particular coordinate(This class I use in everything else)

2- Some basic physics. Something that emulates gravity, and something that prevents the objects from falling through the floor... later I put in walls and ramps and things.

3- A script class, something that tells my object what frame it's sitting on for any particular event... sometimes it tells the object to move, sometimes to spawn other temporary objects like fireballs.

4- A set of contact rules, so that when objects are striking to see if they collide with other objects and then force them to react to them... as well as counting some score for the striker. It also handles victory and death of players.

5- Then I tossed in some AI... it's basic and crude, but works out not-to-bad. It follows and attacks when close enough. If there is a difference in heights, it jumps.

6- Then I added some dialog screens to start the game/finish the game/select characters/set options to wrap around the meats of the game.

7+. Added the ability to play sound and music. Tinkered with some networking capability. Tried to jam in a story line. Took months of play-testing and drawing new art for the characters and backgrounds because I want as much unique art as I can get - cause I don't feel comfortable using others work like that. Ensured that it played on multiple machines at an acceptable frame rate. Created an auto documenter that generates web pages for all of the locations and characters and items and objects in a game... it's a different VIEW for the model/controller.

Years later... I'm still don't feel like I'm halfway done :(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!