Requesting help practicing modelling

Started by
3 comments, last by JoeGravelyn 15 years, 10 months ago
I'm planning on doing a degree in game art and design and as such have started sketching and learning to use Maya. My progress with Maya seems to be going somewhat better than my sketching and I'm wanting to practice 3D modelling a lot more. I was wondering if there's anyone out there who has any sketches or concept art I'd be able to use for practice until my own sketching and drawing abilities improve. I'm mainly looking for people, creatures, clothing (armour in particular) and buildings. Ideally the drawings would have a front and a side view to work from (and a top view if there's a lot of detail in that area). Once I've practiced and got some results I'm happy with I'll hapilly post them here for all to see, unless you'd prefer me not to obviously. Any help would be much appreciated. Twizz
Advertisement
I think I have an idea that might help.

To help stretch your creative thinking and sketching try sketching out something very random a random head maybe, fill in some details and model that. Or without reference try to model some creature or city that pops into your head :D

Other things that might be more fun could be to just try modeling your favorite comic book characters or something. I would prefer to make up my own stuff though. I would prefer it for building up a portfolio and knowing that I made everything in it including the ideas and concepts.
If you're just learning modeling i would start with modeling something simple. Like a tv, or a cardboard box. Both should be simple to model, but will give you the basic understanding and skills you need to build off of. Like uv mapping/unwrapping, texturing, and basics of mesh manipulation.
Characters and complex environments are wishful thinking at this stage in my opinion.

Checkout my sticky for some good information. In 3d art, learning textures are just as, if not more, important as modeling. My topic currently only covers textures, but some of the links (especially beautiful yet friendly) gives a lot of nice technical information you also need to keep in mind for video game modeling.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Look up "human face modelling edge loops". You can always take digital pics of things like yourself or cars etc.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

This is where I get most of my reference pictures:

Link

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement