• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sebov

character motion

This topic is 3658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm trying to create a game that characters must move with sufficient realism, so as not to destroy the visual quality of the experience, yet be responsive, controllable, and efficient to simulate. So I've seen about bvh and md5 format, but I don't know how I can modify it dynamically. Perhaps a software that preprocesses a corpus of motion capture examples into a set of short clips that can be concatenated to make continuous streams of motion. Does a kind of software using bvh or md5 exist? Thanks a lot!

Advertisement
no reply^^, anyone to help me?

another question, is it possible to store more than 2 animations in a *.md5 ?

Thanks !

Erm, I hope that I understood what you wanted :)

Well, I don't know md5, but I'm sure that you could save more than one animation. Here're some background informations (with some "google-keywords") about animation in 3d games:

1. Nowadays you use skeletal animation (define bones and "attach" your mesh(=skin) to this bones).
2. You can arrange your bones to define different poses(=frame) like standing, lying.
3. A sequence of poses/frames defines an animation, i.e. make 20 poses to define a walk animation.
4. To "animate" your object in your program you interpolate between your poses in dependences of your animation speed and time.
5. If you got 1000 frames, it is just a matter of definition of how many different animation you got, i.e. frame 0-100 = walk animation, 101-243= run animation.
6. To create a smooth transition between two animations, just blend this two animations. I.e. calculate your final skeletons (one for walking, one for running) and interpolate between these two skeletons to get your final skeleton.
7. Advanced: if you want to use different animations for different body parts use overlays, that is , you calculate two animations, like running and shooting, and blend the second shooting animation with the first running animation. The trick is, that the blendfactor not depends on time, but on your bone. A hand,neck, shoulder bone got high blend factors (shows more of the shooting animation) whereas your leg and foot animation got low blend factors (shows more of the running animation).

--
Ashaman

thank you asha for this answer, I understand now how it works!

does the technique you named in 7th have a name? then i'll try to search it.

Thanks a lot!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!