• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
moo_gamer

OpenGL Level Editor

This topic is 3663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! All, In each engine, there is a level editor. So, when you use your own opengl engine, how do you manage level editor or its the 3ds max. If its 3ds max, then how do you separate characters (whole body) and other objects? In other level editor, its easy cause I can import character and its a single node. :).

Advertisement
I use Deled. www.delgine.com

I don't have to separate characters from a level, because they are two different types of data.

You can use 3dsmax as your level editor. You could place dynamic objects like a character or enemy, for example, by perhaps inserting a locator node or some other node that you can insert, say, a custom tag or piece of data ("enemy01") that is exported with the node such that your engine can read the node and recognize that it should instantiate an enemy object at that transform.

Nobody is forcing you to use 3D studio. Use Blender, Maya, SoftImage, Lightwave if you wish. You would need to export the data to a suitable file format of course.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!