• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
iamspecial

socket help

This topic is 3658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i want to connect to google.com and then want that server to send me all the website data (only text (for now)) through the socket . this i want to do as a program in c++. actually i know how to create a socket but i don't have an idea on what to do afterwards. please help thanks in advance

Advertisement
How familiar are you with sockets? Have you followed any basic socket tutorials for C++? Written any basic programs? Are you familiar with the HTTP protocol?

Quote:
Original post by iamspecial
also i want to know in which language the implementation will be the easiest .
c++ / python .

Assuming you already know both languages: Python.

Even if you already know C++ and don't know Python, I think it's going to be far easier in Python. Just follow the Dive into Python tutorial.

Learn python if you have to choose between python/perl.

I suggest you master C++ first before moving on to a new language though. But that's just my two cents.

Quote:
Original post by iamspecial
in what type of programs are these scripting languages (python/perl) more useful/efficient than c++.

I'm using Python a lot to automate tedious tasks, such as code and image processing. I've also found it quite useful for (game) prototyping. It's a good language for quick development. C++ is heavier, more complex, but if you know how to use it well, it usually results in better run-time performance.

As for Perl, I don't have much experience with it but it seems to be very good for text processing, with it's support for regular expressions.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!