• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lordcorm

Windows and Cygwin

This topic is 3713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im trying to develop a multi-platform program, that will run on linux and windows. I was wondering, instead of installing another partition to my harddrive to test my linux stuff, could i compile my program with cygwin? and if i do, will it be 100% garenteed that it will run in linux?

Advertisement
Not exactly, no. Now, I use cygwin to do my Windows builds which makes it easier for me when moving over to the Linux side as I am using the same tools (make, gcc, etc.). There is no way to ensure 100% that your code will run as you expect on Linux without running it on Linux.

Cygwin is not a 100% Linux replacement so no as was already stated.
"#
What Isn't Cygwin?
# Cygwin is not a way to run native linux apps on Windows. You have to rebuild your application from source if you want it to run on Windows.
# Cygwin is not a way to magically make native Windows apps aware of UNIX ® functionality, like signals, ptys, etc. Again, you need to build your apps from source if you want to take advantage of Cygwin functionality.
"
Your best bet if you can't bother dual booting is to install Linux in a virtual machine and test it that way. That's what I do and I can even work with simple 2D graphics API's like Allegro and SDL without having to reboot or a dedicated Linux machine.

[Edited by - daviangel on June 15, 2008 12:27:22 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!