• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
daviangel

Gamemaker clone

This topic is 3656 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Could anyone give me any pointers about how I would go about doing something like this? I would assume it involves C++ and some sort of bootstrap process since your program actually generates it's own executable? How does that work? How would you go about writing a Gamemaker like program that generates it's own exec's is pretty much what I want to find out. Any links,tip,etc since google failed me on this or I just couldn't come up with the right keywords. Well just found this out. I'm suprised it's not even written in C++ but Delphi! " First, the Game Maker runner is being rewritten in C++, this allows for games to be ported on to other machines. YoYo are already talking to Microsoft and other companies, and Nintendo is soon going to follow, to negotiate NDS support – and maybe a Wii, who knows? According to a response Sandy made, Game Maker is planned to remain in DirectX for the time being, and states that this will not mean that games won’t work at all in other systems, however obviously, things such as d3d functions will be Windows only. It is important to make clear that rewriting the runner in C++ does not mean that the syntax and structure of the language will change. To the contrary, it will remain the same, and will include the same looseness as it did before. The “maker” itself is being ported to Pascal. This is a relatively easier process, as Game Maker is originally written in Delphi, which is an object oriented variant of Pascal. The reason for porting it to Pascal is to enable it to run on other platforms like the Mac. " [Edited by - daviangel on June 15, 2008 1:33:26 AM]

Advertisement
The way i do it in the tool that i am working on is actually have one executable which has all the functionality build in, and when you write you game and extract you can still use the same executable.

Unless you plan on actually compiling code into the EXE, or modifying other resources, like the icon, you can get away by simply appending all of your game specific data to the end of the EXE file and have it read it from there. If you do need to change the icon that shouldn't be too hard. You can Google for the descriptions of the PE executable format.

Quote:
Original post by SnotBob
Unless you plan on actually compiling code into the EXE, or modifying other resources, like the icon, you can get away by simply appending all of your game specific data to the end of the EXE file and have it read it from there. If you do need to change the icon that shouldn't be too hard. You can Google for the descriptions of the PE executable format.

Ah there's the rub GameMaker actually comes with it's own scripting language so I guess you would need to include a scripting engine in your exe somehow?
Now that I think about it maybe my "Game Scripting Mastery" book will give me some ideas since it shows you how to implement your own custom scripting engine?

Quote:
Original post by SnotBob
Unless you plan on actually compiling code into the EXE, or modifying other resources, like the icon, you can get away by simply appending all of your game specific data to the end of the EXE file and have it read it from there.

He's right. I once made a simple Game Maker clone in Game Maker (a long time ago, back before GM didn't have a registration mechanism) and i just added the stuff to the end of the executable, and to my surprise it worked out just fine. I don't know about changing the icon though.

Gamemaker doesn't actauly compile your game. What its exes have is a copy of the game maker runner (about 2mb) which then interpretes your GML etc which is why the error messages can contain the code you typed out or know which d&d object you used. That is also why you can decompile a game maker exe back into a perfect source project file (You loose the sub directories within game maker but you keep all the varible names, comments etc!).

Personaly id rather see somethying loosely based off of c++ (syntax wise and with pointers, structs, classes, STL, etc) which is then compiled rather than interpreted.

Id rather not have a built in scripting language, an optional one mayby for people that need it for their game... Also being able to use it within dlls would be nice (so you could make say a particle system dll using GM's draw functions)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!